Cant get milk out of 1 breast. HELP

I have been nursing for about a week and full of milk. I fed my baby from my left about 6 hours ago and now when baby tried to nurse from it he couldnt' get any milk out. I tried a hot shower and massage. What can I do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is the baby? Was he sleeping for six hours? Does it feel really hard? Have you tried pumping-not suggesting it if you've got a 1 week old but it can sometimes help start letdown. Finally, how do you know he isn't getting any out of that side and what about the other? Letting down okay? If one breast is engorged it is difficult for the baby to latch on to nurse. You could nurse him from the one side and hand express the other at the same time to soften it if it is engorged.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• OP here . Baby is a week old and usually only nurses from one side at a time every 2-3 hours. I know i had plenty of milk earlier and when I went to feed him from that side he pushed away several times. when I tried to hand express I could hardly get any out of it. It doesn't feel to engorged or sore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• You need a breast pump, you can get a handheld one from the drug store, just pump enough to relieve yourself of the pressure, because too much pumping will just make more milk come or use your hands for self expression. Continue to try and get baby to suck. Massage should not be like a foot massage, it should be slight (not painful) pressure from the top of your breast downward toward your nipple. Um, without much info I'm just trying to throw everything I can think of at you. Don't wear a bra if you are. You could put baby on other breast until he triggers let down (when the milk rushes), then slightly pressure your left breast to drip the milk out on a towel, then switch sides because it won't be so full making it difficult for him to suck. Alternating hot and cold packs might help. If you get stuck, don't continue to suffer, call a certified lactation consultant in your area.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Hmm, if it isn't hard or engorged, I'm not sure. Have you tried different positions? Maybe he is starting to have a preference for one side. http://parenting.ivillage.com/newborn/nbreastfeed/0,,3x3n,00.html
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:06 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• It's actually normal to have one breast that doesn't quite cooperate. Try hand expression. But if you're not getting engorged don't worry too much. It's like being right or left handed.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:43 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Your breasts aren't like cups. The breast continually make milk, so there is milk there even if you can't hand express. Sometimes babies have side preferences. Perhaps your baby wasn't hungry enough, or was annoyed that letdown wasn't happeneing fast enough, or found the position you were holding him in wasn't to his liking (try a football hold on the less preferred breast for example). Or like someone said, you culd be a little engorged and it makes it a little harder for baby to latch on. It's not a cause for panic though. SOmetimes if you let the baby feed on the other side it will trigger let down on the other and that will help releive the fullness and you can pop them off and put them on the breast you want.

How do you know baby didn't get any milk? You'd be surprised at how much they can get without your realizing it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• It's not unusual for a baby to have a less preferred breast. And just because you weren't able to express anything from said breast, does not mean there is not milk there. With both my children, I had SEVERE pain while nursing, only on the left breast. I'd still offer, but eventually offered the left side less and less, and then, they began refusing that side. Basically, I EBF'd two babies (not twins or anything, they're 2 yrs apart) using only one breast. It worked for us, although there is quite a size difference in my breasts. Doesn't bother me though.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2010