i'm 21, should i get my tubes tied?

i'm 21 years old and expecting my 3rd child in early april. i got married at 16, had my first child at 17, my second at 19, and my third will be born next month. i don't want to have any more children after this. i'm thinking of a more permanent & more effective form of birth control to prevent any future pregnancies, but i'm not 100% sure it would be a good idea since i'm still so young. i'm hoping to get some opinions on my situation to help me decide what is best for me & my family. thanks everyone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Health

• I would look at some other options for birth control. Discuss them with your midwife or Dr. A lot happens in life. Whe you are 30 you will think a lot diffrent then you do today. Right now you are a very busy mom. Not to say you will not be busy in 9 years but it wll be diffrent. Your kids will be independent. You may still decide you don't want more children, but at least you can make the decision. A tubal is forever, the number that can be reversed are a very small precentage and expensive. If you decide to proceed with a tubal ligation at this point in your life, that too needs to be discussed with your healthcarew provider. Certain states have certain rules. In my state you must be 21 and sign a permit at least 30 days in advance if your bill will be paid by medicaid. Many providers follow those guidelines as well, just to make sure you have really thought about it.
    Congrats on your new little one!
    momof4treasures

Answer by momof4treasures at 7:32 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't make a permanent decision if I weren't 100% sure. I would look at other long term methods like IUD. Maybe once its time to get the IUD out you will have more solid decision made.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:46 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• You would problably not be able to find a doctor willing to do it because of your age, but it's not impossible. I did it.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:47 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• i wouldnt do it. i mean theres an IUD which i think u should get....you are still so young you never knpw if you might change your mind later on
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 12:48 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I had my tubes tied when I was 22 and I'm know 29 and I wish that I wouldn't have. And my children are the same sex. And I really wanted the other but got talked into getting it done by there father. So I just went ahead and did it. Big mistake. If you have both sex of children that's great becasue then you wouldn't be like me sitting around thinking if I just had one more if I would have gotten the other sex and I often cry about getting that done at 22 years old. I would give it more thought. Hope this helped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• vysectomy the hubby
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• my sister wanted her tubes tied when she was your age after 2 difficult pregnancies there was no way her body could handle another one. the doc said legally you can't get your tubes tied til you're 25
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:10 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• You can get an IUD or the implaton birth control. They last for years so if you decide later down the road you want more children, you won't have to pay outrageous amounts of money for a tubal reversal or egg retrieval.
    StarsGoBlu

Answer by StarsGoBlu at 3:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• If you have the SLIGHTEST doubt...don't do it. I think it's ridiculous to restrict it by age, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:27 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• No
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Mar. 17, 2010