Child guilt

My daughter told me today that she feels guilty a lot lately, sometimes for no reason. I'm not sure exactly where to go to help her and what the causes are. I do know that I have a similar issue. I often loose sleep at night over things that, in the daylight, are flat-out silly. Do any of you know any resources for help with this issue?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I felt this way a lot when I was her age. I never told anyone, though. For me it was caused by feeling like I was leaving childhood behind. I felt guilty when I started shaving my legs, when I got my first bra and when I started my period. I felt guilty for wanting to grow up and I felt guilty because I knew that it caused my parents pain to see me becomming more independant. Sometimes I didn't know why I felt sad and guilty, I just did. Like just BEING was wrong. There was some pretty significant stuff going on in my life, though, my dad was blind and diabetic and so taking care of him fell to me. Is there anything traumatic going on in her life?

For me it passed. I don't know if it's a form a childhood depression or if it's just a normal phase some girls go through, but I stopped feeling that way around 14 years old.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Every time I'd feel like that when I was a tween-through teen... etc. .. Having a great role model to follow and confide in helps greatly. With me it was my mom and grandma and it seems to be a age thing.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• i dont know....i would probably ask my doctor about it. i have never experienced it and i would just want to make sure I could help myself and my daughter with those feelings. however it is GREAT that she felt comfortable enough to tell you how she was feeling.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 7:47 AM on Mar. 19, 2010

• I genetically inherited without my knowing it, that I inherited severe depression and dystemic depression!! You might have her checked out by a therapist or psychiatrist. It's not wrong to go see them. Mental illness is just like heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. Good Luck and keep reassuring her that you are there for her if she needs you!!!
    Love,
    Billie Mae
    hurting58

Answer by hurting58 at 10:23 AM on Mar. 21, 2010