What could be causing my pain?

I have pain on the back of my left shoulder, in the shoulder blade and it radiates down the top of my arm into my fingers with kind of a numbness and tingling in my arm and hand. It started hurting yesterday and I thought it was a strained muscle. I have been taking ibuprofen and using a heating pad and it was helping, but tonight it is really bad and much worse than yesterday. Is is just a strained muscle or could it be something else? Early heart attacks run in my family. Could that kind of pain last this long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Health

• go to Dr. could be a blood clot?
    webmd.com
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I would use ice instead of heat. Use the ice 3 times a day along with the ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is used to reduce inflammation and when you use heat you promote inflammation
    I would also go see the doctor. I don't think it sounds like a heart attack because you would also be having pain around your heart. I think it's just a strained muscle, but you might need a muscle relaxer to get some real relief.
    StarsGoBlu

Answer by StarsGoBlu at 3:14 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• OP here, I don't think it's heart attack either really, just trying to rule that out. Pinched nerve is sounding more like it though. It's not as bad today, but definitely still hurts. Thanks for the help. I will try ice.
    Anonymous