Politly asking a mom to feed her kid before I watch them?

I watch my friends 4 year old daughter. EVERYTIME, as soon as her mom leaves, the little girl says, I'm hungry. How should i tell the mom. Like, I dont want to be rude, but seriously feed your kid before you drop them off....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ask about the feeding schedule and tell her that her daughter is hungry every time she comes over. No beating around the bush.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:29 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Just TELL her. Geez..it's not that hard to say "Hey if you're going to drop your kid off here can you make sure you've fed her first?" Why is it a big deal if you feed her child anyways??
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 9:11 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I would just tell her that she seems really hungry every time she comes over, if she could send something along for her to eat when she gets to your house. Maybe that will make her think about feeding her before she gets there. But kids are weird too..sometimes I don't think that they think about being hungry until something reminds them of it, maybe your house smells like good food or something,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Id just talk to her. She may be feeding her kid...and either she wants more, or she likes your snacks...who knows. I'd bring it up tho.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 2:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I baby-sit a 3 yo every day and EVERY day she was asking to be fed as soon as her mom walked out the door. I would give her something and then she would only eat half and sometimes not even that much which really irritated me (it was SO wasteful!) I asked the mom why she was always hungry. I found out that her mom DID feed her in the morning before bringing her to me, and the girl was more in the habit of asking for food because it was comforting to her. So now when she comes in the morning, I tell her (the child) that I'll fix lunch a little later and I redirect her to toys or an activity. Most days she forgets all about the food and doesn't mention it again until lunch time (which confirms for me that it is more habit than hunger) Maybe you have a similar situation... or maybe not. But, good luck in getting it straightened out. I know it is frustrating and expensive to feed an extra child on a regular basis.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Are you one of my friends? My DD does this, too (even when I send her a snack). Usually it happens at church when one of the teachers is eating their own dinner, of course they have extra and my children always want to share with them. I have started telling the teacher that they have eaten (we eat before going) and they don't need anything, except maybe popcorn (usually have a snack about half-way through the lesson). Just start asking the mom if she's eaten or not, if she's not feeding her first, just flat out ask if she can send a snack. Mom might not realize this is going on...
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 8:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2010