Body scanners & the unborn.

It's been all over about these new scanners in airports.Although i agree added security is nice i have concerns.
How will this affect a pregnant mom and her developing fetus ?
If x-rays are not safe by no means would this be.
Granted i would not want to be subjected to a pat down by an unknown male when i did not cause reasons for that.
However,i will be avoiding plans for the next months for fear of what the harm may do.
If x-rays were so safe we would not need to be protected or have ultrasounds instead.
This has raised questions of health just not safety or for those once violated against their will because what they scan shows or those with medical devices like a pacemaker so,what do you feel is a fair way to address this yet,protect our safety ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I say put up a fuss, they will bend if you are squeaky enough I hope you get the oil for your wheel. Avoid them in first 4 months at all costs I would say,rare eposure is prob ok though try to relax!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• The scanners they use in airports do not emit the same amount of radiation that x-rays do. That being said, you are always able to request a "pat down" in lieu of the scanner. They have female TSA agents that do this, and they will take you into a private room if you request it.

When I was pregnant (with all three of my kids) I was a frequent air traveler. My OB said it was completely safe to go through the scanner, I never requested a pat down.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:21 AM on Mar. 17, 2010