How can I get my 2 year old to go to sleep???

I have a 2 year old daughter, who we have always kept on a pretty decent schedule. About 2 months ago, that has went out the window! She wants to stay up until 2-3 in the morning now. I work 2nd shift, so I usually don't go to bed around that time. Is she just wanting to spend time with me after work? We have tried everything, taking away naps, getting her up really early. Even when we do that, she still stays up, and we just have a cranky 2 year old on our hands. We will put her in her bed, thinking she will go to sleep, but 5 minutes later, here she comes! She is our only child, so this is all new to us. Help, I am in need of some sleep! :-)

dcnb_bnb_heb

Asked by dcnb_bnb_heb at 5:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have the same Problem with my daugther!!
    I have Insomnia so I dont really get much sleep and I realized that my daughert was picking up the same ritm that I have
    and I had try everything to make her go back to sleep and nothing worked until I decided to lock her door so she cant get out!
    I know it sounds drastic but it worked she actually cry for about a week until she reallize that she couldnt get out her room until 6:00 a.m. that I open her door. So I put her to bed at 7:30 p.m. everyday and let her out her room at 6:00 a.m. Now she goes to bed by her self at 7:30 or 8:00 depending she closes her door (not lock anymore) and she gets up around 6:00 a.m. but she doesnt get out her room until 6:30 a.m.
    So I wil recommend you to enforce the rule of what time she goes to bed and what ime she allowed to get out her room. Good Luck!!
    Marcy87

Answer by Marcy87 at 6:32 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I am sure it is hard for the child to go to sleep if the house is still "active". I know my kids always wanted to stay up, but since I didn't stay up that late they didn't stay up that late. It is hard....I don't know the answer, except to make the house as quiet and unappealing as possible after her "bedtime". No lights, tv, toys, or even really any interaction. All that stuff actually encourages her to stay up.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:36 AM on Mar. 17, 2010