Am I the only one who does this... Should I see a Doc?

I rock. When I go to sleep I just rock. From side to side. Now my kids do it. Should I be concerned? I know I didnt start this until I was about 13. Dh thinks its a coping mechanism. Just like when I used to bite my nails. I remember starting that (biting nails) around 11(when my baby brother was born). I didnt stop until a year ago. I know I had alot of issues I was dealing with when I was 13. So thats y he thinks its a coping mechanism. He thinks I am still dealing with issues from my childhood and i've just buried them rather than sort them out.

Do you think that could be it, or something else?. Does anyone else rock, or do something else as they fall asleep?

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 6:48 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Health

• I say save your time and money - lots of people do it- my mom said that I rocked back and forth when I was a baby and I still do it today- just turned 39-
    people relax in all kinds of ways- this is just yours. Unless there are other things that you are concerned about I personally wouldn't bother.
    you may have some childhood issues, I think we all do. If you want to explore those I suppose it wouldn't hurt -
    I hope you find what you are looking for - best to you-

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Hmmmmm Well my ex use to rock and so did his son.. Im not sure if its normal but they didnt go to the doctors for it... Maybe you should just ask the doctor. Good luck hun
    Tryin4GodsAngel

Answer by Tryin4GodsAngel at 7:04 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I don't know if it has to be a psychological issue.....you may just find it comforting physically. This is why rocking chairs were invented, as well as swings.... Of course, you know if there are things on your mind....If you seem to be disturbed or reacting to stress. If so, you should deal with that!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:27 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I don't get it...how can you rock in your sleep??
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 7:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• my son did it until we figured out that is was restless leg syndrome brought on by low iron. Now he takes an iron supplement & doesn't rock. But for several years, dr's told us he was self soothing. Get it checked out.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:47 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I rock in my chair- even if it's not a rocking chair. I've done it since I was a baby. I DO have to make a concious effort to not do it when we have company, but other than that, it soothes me and most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it. On a side note, I'm always burning calories! :-D
    I've been to a Dr. about it. I was told that unless I had some other mental deficiency that I need not worry about it unless it impairs my ability to just 'live'. If it doesn't, then it's nothing more than a habit....which I can work on breaking if I choose. I don't.
    dinaweena101

Answer by dinaweena101 at 8:36 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I rub my feet together as I'm falling asleep. I also noticed that when my stepfather falls asleep in front of the tv he does it too so it's obviously not something that's inherited. It just comforts me to do it and I don't see the harm in it. I'm not hurting myself and it doesn't cause me distress. The only issue is if you have a bedmate and it annoys them or prevents them from sleeping and then I might try to do something about it. I wouldn't necessarily say you need to see a doctor. It seems harmless unless you have a lot of stress or anxiety.
    walkintherain

Answer by walkintherain at 9:29 AM on Mar. 17, 2010