How can we sit by and allow this to happen?

Texas is the leading publisher of text books for schools across America. They now want to leave out a FOUNDING FATHER, Thomas Jefferson because he was not a Christian. They are replacing him with John Calvin, the founder of Calvinism. How can we sit back and say this is OK for Texas to omit a Founding Father? Our education system is already in dire straights and now we allow THIS to happen. We will be further behind other countries if we do not tell the evangelicals to STOP. How 1984 can one state be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• So, I guess if you are intelligent and ambitious and have goals and go to college , you are a "jello brain" ? Is that what you are saying,Mustbe Grace? WOnderful. So all my kids got their degrees and they are still paying their student loans and yet....it was all for nothing because you decided college grads are "jello brains" ? Hmmmm?
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• What?
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Sick of friggin' liberalism!!!

This is the backlash,

Well deserved!

Universities are almost exclusively liberal, and all the jello brained college kids voted a loon into the White House.

Whatcha get!

Go Texas!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:59 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Leaving Thomas Jefferson out of the history books makes no sense whatsoever, but how do you figure they are "replacing" Jefferson with Calvin, a man who lived 250 years before Jefferson? They may be including Calvin and excluding Jefferson, but they are not replacing one with the other, and by the way, I don't think Calvin's contribution to be all that important unless you are studying the rise of Protestant religions, or something like that. (Okay he was important, but nowhere near as important as Jefferson!)
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:41 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Thomas Jefferson was not removed from history books. if you researched it outside of liberal sites like huffpo, you would see he was just removed from the enlightened thinkers section, because they are replacing it with historical thinkers from before the foundings influence and Calvin was one of the influencial thinkers the founders used.. His contributions to Americas founding is still intact.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Thank you Carpy for driving home the point- which brings me to my point- I am an educator and I do not use ONLY textbooks as sources of information for my students. We teach them to get their information from a variety of sources which produces a more balanced approach to any subject. It seems that many of us adults were not taught what is taught today and that is to dig deeper to get the whole story.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:34 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Was Jefferson a Deist? That is just as acceptable,IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• A better question might be what is stopping you from teaching them about Jefferson at home?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Carpy is right, the aren't leaving out Thomas Jefferson, people need to get a grip.

All textbooks are biased in some way. I have one that has an entire chapter to Mae Jemison, first black woman in space. Neil Armstrong only has a paragraph. Political correctness gone wild.

I have found spelling texts that are full of spelling errors, math texts with incorrect answers in the answer code. Brand-new science texts will have out-dated info, and outright false info to boot. It's hard to find anything decent to purchase.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Thank you Carpy and Soyousay! I wish people would do a little more research before having a fit. Lot's of people and events have been left out of the books, that is why parents should supplement their kids education. Honestly, there simply isn't room for everything. Heck, I am still studying things. Right now my husband and I are doing a comprehensive study of Lincoln.

Kudos to the teachers that go outside the box!!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2010