What happens to the puppies at Petland (and other such companies) that don't get bought?

My husband and I were wondering about this the other day. Does any one know what happens to them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Pets

• killed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Those are the worse places in the world, next to puppy mills!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:47 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• A lot of the pet stores will either send them to a shelter, have them euthenized or sometimes they will just give them to people for free. A friend of mine went in there for something and came back to work(vet) with a puppy.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I have never heard of petland before....but any pet store that still sells dogs isn't worth a damn I would never shop in one. However, back in the day, I did work for a few who still sold them and when the puppies got to big we reduced their price and eventually if needed gave them away. We had such a high demand for puppies though it rarely ever happened.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:19 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Most of them are taken to a county lot and shot.....if they are lucky that is. They will be taken back to the puppy mills that they came from and used for breeding (if they are female). If they are male they will probably be left somewhere to starve to death.

Don't buy pups from pet stores.

Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:37 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Why is this legal?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Bethsunshine,

It is legal because in most of the United States dogs, cats and the like are considered chattel..meaning property. There are no regulations governing the state of pet stores, or the places that provide them with their puppies. Very little legislation is available to take care of puppy mills, and if someone is found to be running a puppy mill, they receive very little punishment. Usually a slap on the wrist and a ban from owning dogs, which can not be inforced.

People don't care about where they get a dog when they buy them from pet stores, as long as they get one. The only way to stop pet stores is to stop buying from them.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 4:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Petland and other pet stores don't kill the puppies they don't sell, they lose too much money that way. They just keep marking the price down until someone buys them.

And NO I don't support pets stores in anyway!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:55 PM on Mar. 19, 2010