my son hates tummy time! what can i do?

my son can not stand tummy time! we get down on the floor with him, we bring toys out, and we bring mirorrs out! none of it works! he is ok for like a minute and then the screaming starts! what can i do!!!!!!!!!!

pergowithfirst

Asked by pergowithfirst at 7:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep doing what you are doing. Let him be on his tummy for a minute and then the next day, try 1 1/2 minutes. Do this until he is comfortable with 1 1/2 minutes and then increase it to 2 minutes and so forth. You can do this several times a day until he is use to it. Good Luck!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:42 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• why force it if he doesn't like it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My son is 8 months old and STILL hates it. He can get into crawling position and cries. My DJ is never going to crawl lol. I can get him on his belly now for a little bit but he cries. What JeremysMom said sounds like it could work.
    DJsmom0725

Answer by DJsmom0725 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Listen to babies cues. It takes a LOT of time for a baby to build the muscle strength not to get exhausted on their belly. My baby didn't like tummy time until she was able to roll over to her belly on her own. Now I can't keep her on her back.

Do what you are doing, put some toys down near and far and let the baby explore. AS SOON AS the baby indicates they've had enough turn them over or pick them up. If you force it you will make them hate it even more, because if you leave them there they will learn that belly time means they will be stuck there and they won't want to do it at all. IF your baby can onlystand belly time for a few seconds, the so be it. Give several opportunities every day, and listen to the baby.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• thanks so much! those are awesome suggestions! i really appreciate it!
    pergowithfirst

Answer by pergowithfirst at 3:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2010