if your childs on Ar Kids...

Ok, so at my sons 9mo checkup, the dr said that the gov was making all the babies w/arkids have their blood tested for lead & iron. He proceeded on to tell me how pointless & dumb it is, bc if the child isnt exposed to lead theres no need for a test. & that if it were up to him he wouldnt make them do it, but medicaid doesnt go by what the dr says, its their rules....so i was stressing about it, and pushed it to the very last day. I had asked all my other mom-friends and out of all of them, the only one who had to do it, used my dr. I even waited for my bestfriend to take her son, who is exactly 1mo younger, and is on arkids, and her dr didnt even mention it!! So, has anyone else had to do this? O and i was praying for a finger prick...no! they made me hold him down, and they drew blood from his arm!!!

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know why they would need to draw blood, mine have always had the finger prick to do the lead test. It is a requirement in NC that all kids be tested for it because you never really KNOW if your kid has been exposed to it or not so it's not stupid or pointless. It's a simple test that can prevent HUGE problems down the road in your child's future. Frankly, if I were you I would be looking for a new ped.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:27 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I would love for my son's doctor to tell me that it isn't necessary. How many toys have been recalled because of lead in the paint? How do you think they found out about that lead? You never know where there is lead.  My 2 year old did have to have blood drawn for the test. He didn't do it at 9 months though. He was about 15 months. I would love to just have to do a finger prick test.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 10:29 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I know that for my kids, they were tested for lead at 12 mos and 24 mos, and it wasn't the insurance that required it. That's the way it's done around here. It's not unusual, but just a little earlier then I'd expect.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2010