Census question?

What do I legally have to answer on the census? I don't see any reason for the government to know if I have a visitor here from out of town (which I don't) or the names and ages of the people in my house. If this is just meant to enumerate the population, then shouldn't they just be concerned with the amount of people in the house? What am I legally obligated to answer?
Thanks.
(oh, and save the "it's no big deal", "it doesn't take long" - public records are already available forthem to get the other information so there is no need to be redundant)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know how they can enforce things if there is widespread refusal to give private information. Especially if they don't have names.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:49 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• You are legally obligated to answer all of it.

Answer by older at 9:16 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Yes, you have to answer all of it. If you just have temporary out of town guests then they obviously don't count but if someone is staying with you semi-permanently then yes they have to be listed as according to the instructions they won't be counted in their OWN home.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:21 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• They want the names and ages b/c they way they can double check that a person isn't being claimed twice...i.e.-shared custody...that's also why they ask about visitors.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 9:22 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• You have to state a house guest if they have no permanate residence and will otherwise be missed. You have to state ages so they can estimate time projected populatons...and you legally have to answer it all or else you go to jail for life and they take your first born.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• or else you go to jail for life and they take your first born.

oh man, do you promise? I could use some "me" time :-) And if the first born doesn't get his head out of his backside they can have him...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• LOL @ Farrahann!!!! They don't take your first born! LOL!!! (j/k)

Answer by Bmat at 9:33 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Hey the Census Bureau is cracking down :)

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:39 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• The ages part is so that they can determine if they need more schools or hospitals, etc (tons of kids might mean another school, lots of elderly people might mean another hospital,etc). Names...I'm going to agree with the person who said it's so they can make sure in cases of shared custody and such that someone isn't being counted twice.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:39 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Do you file taxes? If so, the gov't already has more information about your family that the census is asking. Just fill the damn thing out and quit whining.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Mar. 17, 2010