Siezures in a 2 and a half year old

My 2 and a half year old son has been shaking and staring and his ped wants to send him to a hospital 2 hours away to be checked. Siezures run in my family and now I'm worried sick. If anyone can help so i'm not worrying so much please do.

XandersMomma07

Asked by XandersMomma07 at 9:04 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I want to make u feel better, but I dont know too much about seizures, when I was younger my brother had a friend who would get them all the time, he needed to get a shot everytime it happened then he would be fine. Just try not to worry yourself too much, I know its scary though. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Take him to have the tests. My 5 yr old started having seizures 10 weeks ago. He didn't shake but just drop into a faint. I thought the doc was overreacting when she wanted him to have an EKG and EEG. I did it anyway, but questioned her the whole time. Turns out the kid has epilepsy. He probably does the staring seizure, but we just thought he was spacing out. He has to have an MRI next week to see if they can determine what type of epilepsy he has (who know there was more than one type.)He is now on daily medication and is doing well.

PM me if you'd like. I know it is scary, but the good news is that depending on the type of seizures, many kids outgrow them.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:30 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• It is the best thing to go and get him checked my son is a year and a half and he had his first seizure when he was a year old. I was scared out my mind when i first saw him have one. Aiden has febrile seizure because his body cant break down his temp when he has one. I took him to the hospital and he got alot of test done and we were there for 8 days. I think the best thing you can do is get you the test done. Everything will be okay, my son hasnt had a seizure in 3 months he doesnt had to be on an meds but i do got to give him something if the seziure last more than 5 mins. The doctors said that he will grow out of them by the time is he 5 years old. well good luck and keep in touch and if you have any questions i will be here to help you
    Lrcalcagno87

Answer by Lrcalcagno87 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• get the tests.

my youngest started having seizures when she was 1.

scared the crap out of me. but the hospital with the neurologists and all the MRI, CATscans and EEGs will help you learn how to treat and live with seizures. luckily we've got an excellent childrens hospital in our city.
    my dd has so far been undiagnosed - no conclusive results from any of her blood tests, scans, or monitoring. her seizures are different every time - from the full grand mal to the petite or absence.

how often does your son have seizures? how long are they? what are they like?

the first thing you can do is start a journal for every day - when he has a seizure write down the weather, the moods, what he was doing, the time of day, absolutely EVERY little detail helps diagnose. so when you do go see that dr, you can hand him your journal so you won't have to try and remember every little detail on the spot.

feel free to message
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:06 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• and if he has another seizure TIME it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:07 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• A friend's son had the same problem. I can imagine it's scary to go through but as another poster pointed out, kids often outgrow them. The best thing you can do is go for the tests and determine exactly what the problem is then you can deal with it. Not knowing has got to be worse..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• He goes for the test in two weeks but this is going to be the second longest two weeks of my life the first was the first month of his life while he was in the hospital as a preemie
    XandersMomma07

Answer by XandersMomma07 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Like the others said, get whatever tests are ordered and you will need a referral to a pediatric neurologist. My son started having seizures at about the same age, and also with a family history. With the right medication (or combination of meds), you should see a reduction in seizures or a complete stop. It's challenging and stressful at times. If you need someone to talk to at any time, feel free to send me a message.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 1:19 AM on Mar. 18, 2010