Is there seriously no work at home job that i can do that won't cost me money

mjungers

Asked by mjungers at 9:07 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• Most work at home jobs are just scams, unless you already work for a company and work out a telecommuting agreement with them. There are a few places, like West at home, that offer legitimate work but there are SO many people vying for places its near impossible to get hired. Other than that if you don't have some sort of goods or talent where you can sell things for yourself there's not much choice out there. There was a time you could turn a decent profit with crafts or wholesale items on ebay but it's become so flooded that it's nearly impossible to turn a profit.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:12 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Like PP stated many are scams. Any co. that tries to get you to sell products to your friends and neighbors is a scam. My in-laws made some money going to tag sales and garage sales, finding good deals and then selling them on e-bay. My MIL has a good eye though and can spot fine ceramics and crystal.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:17 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• you can check out alpineaccess.com- they are a legit company. they didn't work for me because in my opinion they expect you to work off the clock, claiming that it's ok of them to ask you to do so since you don't have to drive to work- they call it 'your commute'

but they aren't a scam, so if you want to work from home you can check them out. I just personally wouldn't get your heart set on it being the perfect job- a lot depends on what team you work on- like any job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Oh...there is always starting a home daycare.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Daycare. Laundry, mending, sewing. Perhaps preparing meals, although if you do this for more than a few you would surely need to get inspected by the Health Department and insured. How about something home based such as grocery shopping- someone calls or emails you their list and you shop for it and deliver it- not really an at home job, though. How about package wrapping- someone drops their gifts and you wrap them, either with their paper and ribbons or with yours, for which you charge extra, of course. Or how about cake baking and decorating- take a course at the college.

Answer by Bmat at 9:30 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• You can take in a child or two. Since you have everything it will not cost you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• There are lots of companies that will hire you without charging you anything... However, more and more of them do require a few dollars to cover the cost of a background check or drug test - just like with a real job...

I have some information on how to work from home, how to find a job & research it and other tips on my blog.

I also have a list of legit companies that hire home based workers on my website.

Good Luck

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:52 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Consider getting licensed to do daycare. Don't get me wrong, you have to be the "right" kind of person to do daycare and your family has to know you give up most of your privacy. You don't make much for an hourly wage, but you don't have to pay someone else to care for your children when you are working out of the home. A big asset is that you can write off portions of most of your regular household expenses. Utilities, interest on your house, a wide variety of expenses dealing with cleaning, laundry, arts and crafts, office supplies, entertainment, mileage, and more. You can also depreciate your furniture, washer and dryer, outdoor play equipment, etc... Also if you have to paint or change your carpeting. In the end the deductions you are allowed to take help make up for the lower wage you make. There's a federal food program licensed providers have access to that help pay a very small portion of your food expenses.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:54 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• a work at home job shouldnt cost anything! its the work at home businesses that cost and some are scams but some seem like scams but some people are making money form them.. im one of those making money from something someone thought was a scam..although i have been scammed and one of my friends works that business so its all on the person ... but ya job has no cost business does... try chacha.. it should be a great job..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Like a PP said, you want to find a job not a business. Jobs do not charge. There is a great group here on cafemom that posts jobs all the time. Send me a pm if you want that link.
    pageantgirl3

Answer by pageantgirl3 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2010