What are some ways I can build my credit without getting a credit card?

I have tried getting credit cards,but I am never approved for any because,I don't have any credit.I don't even have a score.

Tia23sb

Asked by Tia23sb at 9:46 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• You can try getting a cell phone. You might have to pay a deposit, but making your payments every month to pay the bill will help your credit. Just paying regular bills on time can help a bit. Also, if you have someone who can add you to their credit card, that can help you. My mom added me to her credit card and it helped me a little, although I still don't have credit. I'm actually getting ready to get a cell phone to try to get credit started.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:49 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• If you simply don't have ANY credit you shouldn't have any problem getting a credit card with a small limit to build your credit score. Try going to sears, belks, Pennies, target, walmart.....any store card is going to be more likely to approve you then you simply buy one thing with it a month then pay it off every month. You DO have a score, it just might not be a good one. Other than that, the best way to have solid credit is buy a car or house ;) I would start with store cards. Also, cell phones, rent-t-own stores, most furniture stores and utilities or rental agencies don't report to credit bureaus so they are not going to build a rating for you.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• If you have an bank account then you can ask your bank about a Secured Credit Card. The secured credit card helps with your credit and you can set your own limit by making a deposit. Ask your bank they should have more information but I did the same and my credit score is great. But I also paid my bills on time and avoid letting credit cards run my credit just to tell me that I am not approve.
    mom42107

Answer by mom42107 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Can I ask you why you feel like you NEED credit? You obviously don't have credit cards and pay cash for everything, so why do you need 'credit'? You are doing things right! Read the book The Total Money Makeover or Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey....get it at the library. He will explain all the reasons why you don't need credit. Most people think they need credit to buy a house, but you DON'T. All you need is to find a bank that underwrites it's own mortgages. Even better is to save up enough money to pay cash for a house (or car). All credit does is get you in trouble. You could get a card, but you have to use it to build credit. Then one thing leads to another and you have debt. All a credit score is is a 'debt score' and that should be nothing to be proud of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• you don't want credit cards...stay away from them
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• You do not NEED credit. I recommend reading Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Make Over". Needing credit is a myth of our society. There is no sense in buying something if you don't have the money to pay for it ( credit) and creating debt. Read that book, it WILL change the way you think about money!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:37 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• A credit report is a credit HISTORY. You have to get something on credit to have a history. I started out at a local furniture store. It's easier to get a secured loan where they can repossess it if you don't pay. So buying a car or furniture is a good start.
    Anonymous