Should I break up with my b/f because he dont want to work a real job?

He will work but he dont want to work for anybody other than himself....which that is not bringing in any income, so therefore I am getting frustrated with the situation. He has no kids, his car is not wrking, and no job, he does receive Unemployment but that will stop at the EOM. For the last 2 months he has no help with any bills at all. He does clean the house and sometimes cook but I still have to get off of wrk and school and do the things that he didnt do. He sits on the internet all day buying stuff off of ebay(thats what he tells me) but I havent seen any new items in the house. I used to ask him about working but he would get VERY upset and start an argument so I dont even be BOTHER with that anymore I just keep my QUESTION to myself and focus on me and my daughter. PLEASE TELL ME IF I AM RIGHT OR WRONG?

mom42107

Asked by mom42107 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• You have to decide what's best for you and your child. Personally, I would not support a man who is fully capable of working. But, on the other side...my boyfriend works and I don't right now. But I do keep the house clean, do his laundry, cook, and basically do the good little housewife bit. If your boyfriend is doing nothing to contribute to your relationship (which is what it sounds like), that's not very fair and I wouldn't live like that. But you have to decide what is best for you.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• He's your b/f not your son. If he was trying to find a job and wasn't able I would say stand by your man....but since he's clearly been acting like a bum of late I would tell him to get off his behind or take his crap and get out. It sounds like you've got your hands full already, good luck.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't do it. My ex was the same way and it's fine for a while but believe me it gets old! What about when you have kids together, do you think he's going to get a job and contribute then? Probably not. It's called laziness and it's part of his personality. I swore I would never, ever support another man!

Answer by missanc at 9:56 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• yes! some people live in a dream world. I would maybe give him one more chance. I would tell him he needs to work and have a steady income to help you and if he wants to maybe someday have his own business or whatever that you can help him live that dream. He can put some of that income from his real job to the side. You can help him think of ideas but i wouldnt put up with him being a house wife if all its doing is putting stress on you
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Heck Why should he work he's living there for nothing. Kick the bum out. Tell him he can't come back or get anything from you until he has had a job for a year better yet a career and you have that special ring on your finger. In the mean time take care of your children and yourself. And don't say but I love him so. that may be but he doesn't love you or himself. He has already proven that for he doesn't want to protect and take care of you. He wants you to take of him just like a Mom would their child.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Drop that chicken dinner and get you a winner, girl!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• If he does little more than a little cleaning and cooking, you could hire a teenager for that with a lot less aggravation! You can do a lot better than him. Ditch the loser and bide your time in case someone better shows up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I'm sorry but I would not put up with it at all, he is a grown man and should be working to support himself-- -NOT live off you and have you support him! I would give him notice and tell him that he has XX time to get (and keep) a job or he is out the door.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Idk about breaking up, but definitely he needs his own place to live. He sounds like he's just sponging off you. Not cool.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2010