eating

My daughter who will be 1 in 2 weeks has a habit of doing the raspberry when she has a mouth full of food. The more I tell her no the more she does it. By the time she is done eating there is more food on the walls ans on me than what she actually ate. Anyone else have this problem? What did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would give one warning, and then mealtime was over. It's not that long until 1 year olds have their next meal/snack anyway, but she'll learn pretty quickly.

Answer by missanc at 10:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• OP: Well she only does it at home not at daycare so dinner is the meal she does it at and that is her last meal except for a bottle at bedtime. I can't let her go to bed without dinner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• When my daughter starts playing with her food, I know shes not really hungry and I say "all done" and just take the plate away. If she fusses when I do that, I take a little of what she has on her plate and I put it on her tray in front of her and she'll usually eat it if she is really hungry. Then I just keep giving her a little at a time on her tray. That way if she does decide to make a mess of it, its not that big of a mess and I'm not giving her any attention about the issue of her making a mess...I'm just removing the problem. A lot of times though, she's just really done eating and playing with her food.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:18 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Try not to over react. Simply say, if you spit, we are done eating... and follow through. Also, if you ever have the problem of her throwing food on the floor. Say okay, were all done, and make her throw away the mess. I would try having her clean up her "raspberry mess" too... Good luck!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 11:19 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I totally agree with missanc. My son use to throw food and that's what we did. A warning and the meal was over. However, to address your concern, give her 15 minutes or so and try again. If she does it again, she's done. It won't harm her to miss a meal. The problem is that if you keep telling her no, she's getting the attention she's looking for. If it doesn't get her any attention, it will stop. Another option is to move the high chair to the center of the room (out of spitting distance of walls/furniture), put a mess mat underneath her and completely ignore the raspberries. She may loose interest that way as well. The fact that she only does it at home would seem to indicate she's looking to get your attention. just my two cents..
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My son used to do that too...I would lightly tap his mouth and it would get his attention really fast...he quickly learned that was not acceptable at meal time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I agree with Missanc. I would place 2 fingers over my DD mouth and tell her no in a firm voice 2 times and then remove the food. If she had only eaten a small amount I would offer it back to 'try again' in 5 min or so. She was very underweight and couldn't afford to miss a meal!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2010