Should a lump freak me out?

Found a lump in my left breast this morning. I'm 31, and I do have a history of cancer in my family. In fact every woman in my family (except those who dies from drugs or being killed) had died from some form of cancer. One of my aunts has lung cancer right now. My other aunt was diagnosed with ovarian cancer when she was pregnant in her tubes. But they caught it early. I have four kids and my writing career is on the very brink of taking off...I have so much to live for and I'm scared to death right now. I've made an appointment with my doctor, and I haven't told anyone except my aunt...Any far fetched suggestions on what else it could be? I did nurse all four of my kids...haven't breast fed in like 2 yrs though...

Dmommy4

Asked by Dmommy4 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Health

• I have had a total of 6 suspicious lumps removed from both breasts. A lump can be scary.

??
    Does it feel like a frozen pea or a grape? If it is a frozen pea you need to see a doctor soon. This size/feel is the most common type of breast cancer women find. If it feels like a grape it is most likely a cyst. It will probably go away as your body goes through its menstrual cycle this month.

Is it near your armpit? It might be a swollen lymph node. This can happen if you have been sick, even if it was a month ago. This type of lump may be tender and will go away on its own...may take a couple of weeks or even a month. I had one after being sick with bronchitis.

If you would like someone to talk to or have questions please feel free to email me. It can be really scary. Try not to be terrified though! A very small percentage of lumps are actually cancer. :)

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:26 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I went in for a check on a lump once, they asked me over the phone if it felt like a nickle, I said no. They said don't worry yourself, but come in anyway for an exam. The cancerous lumps usually feel like a nickle.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Could be a cyst, I've had them get rock hard from having so much fluid in them. I've also had lumps from Fibrocystic breast condition where lumps come frequently most months.

Make an appointment with a doctor who will do more than watch it - you need a mammo. and also an ultrasound. Don't let any doctor tell you from a physical touchyfeely that it's nothing. Make sure the radiologist who reads your mammo. and ultrasound are very very experienced in breast diagnoses.

Your children want you to take care of yourself, that's how they learn through life to take care of themselves.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• please get it checked- it may be nothing, but if it's something then you want them to find it early!

like they say- if you want to protect them, you have to check them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I think that you should get it tested. My sister went to school with a girl who found a lump in her breast and the drs told her she was too young to get cancer(she was 17) and didn't test it or anything. She died of breast cancer. At first a lump should always be treated like it could be cancer. It may cost extra money but if detected early there is a better chance of survival.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 10:12 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• cancer will feel like your knuckle. run your flat fingertips over your knuckle and then the breastlump. if you pick up the lump and move it around that is a good sign, cancerous areas are not going to move around they will be fixated. GL with your appointment, 1 in 8 women will get breast cancer. Even if it is not cancer now, it can be in the pre cancerous stages.
    So in answer to your question..yes a lump should freak you out and you need a good exam on it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:23 AM on Mar. 17, 2010