my 6 week old has been sleeping for up to 6 hours at night and when he wakes up he only wants to feed for around 5 minutes or so(on one side only, breatstfeeding). I feel like he should be eating more and am concerned. He was weighed last friday and is 11 lbs, so I know his weight is okay. I 6 hours too long for a 6 week old to go with out eating? he had been eating just so so throughout the day and then usually has a couple of good feedings before bed.

jakesmom1242

Asked by jakesmom1242 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I first would sleep 6 hrs at night too. My Dr said as long as she is breastfeeding well and gaining weight there is nothing to worry about. Not all kids eat long. Baby is getting all it needs in those 5 mins. My SIL's kids are the same then eat for 5 mins and done. As for mine they ate for 20 to 45 mins.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• As long as your baby is growing well I wouldnt worry about it.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• A baby can get plenty of milk in 5 minutes. If your breasts drain fast and your baby can handle it then there isn't a problem. 11lbs at 6 weeks is pretty good. As long as your baby is gaining weight I wouldn't worry. As for the sleeping 6 hours. Enjoy. Most babies don't do that. My oldest would sleep for 5 hours but my youngest would only sleep for a couple of hours at a time.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:40 AM on Mar. 17, 2010

• If you are changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, your LO is gaining, and meeting milestones, then I'd let him sleep. If he's not gaining or having enough diapers, I'd wake after maybe 3-4 hrs to nurse. How often does he nurse during the day? And, how are his diapers and weight? DON'T expect this to stay this way though, often little ones change their sleeping habits frequently. And, he's also probably just an efficient nurser, meaning he gets PLENTY in those short sessions.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• enjoy the nice long nights of your baby sleeping-mine would sleep for 5 hours then get up for 10 - 15 min for a dipper change an to eat. he wouldn't eat very long an slept the long hours so i asked my mothers friend she's had like 8 kids all twins. she told me if he's gaining weight he'll be fine an when he gets hungry he'll let you know. so i didn't worry about it now he's 16teen an taller then me.
    Anonymous

• If dipes are good, no worries.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2010