what is the better way to realese my stress????my son has autism and sometimes i feel so helpless and stressout!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Find a local support group. Weekend social skills groups for your son will give you a much needed 'break' and help him at the same time. WE are a part of an awesome support group that has monthly meetings with social groups for the kids. The group has a topic each month and just knowing you aren' alone is great! My son also attend twice monthly social skills class it's 4 hours for 'freedom' They have large and small groups at both for all ends of the spectrum. I don't know where your son is on the spectrum but if you need to talk I'm here! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I feel you on this. I dated a guy who has a kid with Autism. He (the kid) was a monster!!!! He hit my son and when he came to my sons B-day party he shoved and really physically hurt a kid much smaller than him. I know there's a few support groups on here for moms that have autistic kids. There's a special place in heaven for them because lord knows I couldn't do it!!!
    I broke up with the guy since he did and said NOTHING to his son for doing this(mis-behaving). I can honestly say I hated this guys child!!! And I love kids!!!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Wow - when kids with autism misbehave, it's NOT their fault, it's the parents (and sometimes it's not their fault either - kids with autism don't realize cause/effect of things they do). Hate the disability, not the child!

I imagine your son is young. Mine is 12 and it gets better, so much better! Definitely contact your local Autism Society and find out what programs they have. Find out if there is respite care in your area - someone should be offering it and the state autism society should be able to help you locate it if you don't have a local chapter.

Answer by missanc at 2:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I am so sorry mommy... I have NO advice for you but feel for your situation so MUCH! When my son was small and I was reading about Autism and was nervous about this and the more I read I worse I felt for people in this situation. not to say anything to offend you as I know autistic children are still wonderful kids too but I have a 2-1/2 year old that has been hard enough, I couldn't imagine what else you must have to go through.. I am sending you tons of love's and hugs mommy.. Hang in there!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• HI there,

Like others, I recommend finding an Autism support group where you can spill your heart out with other parents who are in the same boat, who experience the same difficulties and rejoice in the same developments.

Also (I don't know how old your child is) look into additional therapy activities for your child. I volunteered at a therapeutic horseback riding center for 6 years and most of our riders were autistic. Horseback riding has numerous physical and psychological benefits to riders, especially to those with disabilities, and I was always amazed at the development in my autistic riders.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 11:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2010