Child Support

In your opinion should child support go into a separate account and be used ONLY towards things for the child (clothes, activities, etc) or should it be up to the custodial parent's discretion to use those funds to help pay for all things in the household even things that may not be directly FOR the child.

For instance, if the salary of the custodial parent and the child support all go into one account, technically the custodial parent COULD be using child support money to by him or herself clothing or a night out.

So do you feel that if the child is being cared for, child support is just income for the household, or should be delgated directly to the child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• It is household income. I tshould help provide for utilities, roof over thier head, medical bills, clothing, food...It just goes to the general fund.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• for me it's household income. I cannot count on my child support every month and the way I see it my son will get what he needs, when he needs it wether or not that money comes in.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• It is household income, and should be used as such. As far as the mom using it for a night out, well taking a break from your kids once in a while can help relieve some stress, and make you more patient, hence benefiting the child.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:12 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• As long as the child is being cared for, has food, shelter and clothing, it is no one's business what the child support is being used for.
    Anonymous

• It is household income. My doofus ex tried to bring up this very argument during mediation (that I was using c/s to gasp! support my child with rent, food, etc) and the mediator actually LAUGHED at him. Ooo...he was pissed! It was awesome! LOL....good times, good times. Anyway, the mediator said that it is to be used for run the household and is at the discretion of the custodial parent as to how it would be used.
    Anonymous

• It is household income. It is for the child's share of the utilities etc as well as items specifically purchased for the child. As long as the custodial parent is caring for the child, who cares if they are also doing things for themselves?
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I think it should help pay for food, the house, utilities. I also think if possible, some should be put into savings for the child
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 1:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Well it is for the child's care ... and that does include food, utilities, shelter, clothing, school funds, etc.

And I would give my daughter $5-10 from each check also ... that was 20 yrs ago.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 1:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• It goes to the household fund. My ex's now ex girlfriend had him draw up a letter demanding reciepts for everything so that he knew it was going to my son. It didn't last long after I started sending him a bill for half of the reciept amounts.
    lildudesmomma

Answer by lildudesmomma at 2:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Mine goes into general household income. I pay much more for my kids care than child support could ever hope to cover, so I'm not that worried about it.

Answer by missanc at 2:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2010