Did you watch the 16 & Pregnant episode last night? What did you think?

I kinda felt bad for the girl, the show made it seem like her parents (mostly her mom) really pushed adoption on her and only gave her that option. I know this show does not show every part of her pregnancy but it made it seem like she would be put out on the streets if she were to keep her baby and the baby daddy never came through for her. I think adoption is a great thing and a woman should have a right-it just seem to me like the parents could have been more supportive and really let her make that committment to her baby like she wanted to. I was a mom at 17 and I know it's hard, I made it by myself, my mother didn't support me or my son. What is your opinion? (let's be respectful of our opinions ladies, it's just a discussion, everyone is entitled to their own)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I watched it last night and I felt SOOO bad for that girl. I really think her parents pushed too hard for adoption. I was telling my DH last night about how bad I felt for her.

What really surprised me was after she gave birth and the boyfriend was holding the baby and her mom said "its alot of work", I was like WTF, she just ruined the most precious first moments they had with that baby :(
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I watched it from about half way through last night.I was actually crying for the girl, it was so sad. She seemed happier about her decision at the end after it was all over with but I think she really wasn't 100 % sure that she wanted to give it up, and the father of the baby seemed like he really didnt want to give it up either. What a hard decision to face at such a young age :(
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Honestly, I don' t think I would want my kid to give up the baby.

Yet 16 is too young, but it is possible. I don't know, I can't imagine my daughter coming home pregnant so young, would I want to raise another baby now? Would I want her to give the baby Up?

Tough call, I think only when your put in that situation then can you answer honestly.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My husband asked me last night if our daughter was in her shoes would we push adoption on her and I said absolutely not! I understand it is a young age, though I feel that a woman has a right to choose I personally would not want my grandchild to be given up for adoption or aborted. If my daughter truly felt like she could not do it with our support I would adopt the child and take responsability. It is a hard choice and my heart did go out to this girl-the first set of adoptive parents fell thru and I believe it's because they sensed that maybe she young mom was not 100% in on giving her baby away. I am anxious to see the update on her.
    Anonymous

• The really sad thing is, this is not an uncommon senerio. People would like to think nobody is pushed into adoption by family or other influences but they are.
    Anonymous

• at 16 adoption should be the ONLY option especially if the 'baby daddy' is a looser. Good for her parents for giving there daughter a better chance at adulthood LATER in life, like when she is an adult. Kids should be kids not parents.
    Anonymous

• I haven't watched it, but I've heard a lot about it and read a lot of responses.

The "parents" disgust me. That's all I'll say about that. But the girl needs to take ownership too. She ALLOWED them to use scare tactics and to force her into that decision. If she was too weak to stand up to her parents, she was too weak to be a parent. So maybe it IS best that the baby went up for adoption.

As for the "put yourself in that families shoes" direction that this post seems to be taking: If my daughter came to me as a teen telling me she was pregnant. I would be shocked, yes. Maybe brief anger. But NONE of those emotions would ever cause me to belittle my daughter, let alone force her into a decision. I would support the decision she made, and if the decision was to keep the baby, I would help her finish her education and get into a career field or whatever she needed so that she could be a great mother to my grandbaby!
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I think it was a good decision. Like they said the circumstances just arent right, plus look how old her parents are, they shouldnt have to deal with their daughters mistake. The family who adopted the baby seemed like good people, who really seemed to appreciate what the birth mom was doing. The baby will get raised in a good environment and get to know his mom. Yea it was sad, but everyone seemed happy at the end.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I haven't watched it yet. But I sure hope it discourages girls from having sex with some young dumb kid and prevents some pregnancies. I would hate to think girls decide they want a baby as a teen. Shudddder.......I can't think of anything worse.
    Anonymous

• her parents shouldnt of done what they did. by making her do what they wanted. i started crying too.
    landons3mommy3

Answer by landons3mommy3 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2010