how in the name of all that is freaking holy do you get a 3.5 yr old to POOP in the potty?!

I am seriously at my wits freaking end here. He's been pee trained for a year and a half. But ever FREAKING time he has to poop he starts in his pants first. It makes me want to just beat him. (note, I do not, but it sure makes me want to). I've tried EVERYTHING. Praise, rewards, etc. I don't know what else to do. He KNOWS he has to go, and so he leaves the room (which is not abnormal...because he leaves the room all the time to get toys and things like that) starts to go in his pants, then says "I have to poop". SO then again, I have a pair of underwear I have to freaking clean, all because he CHOOSES to go in his pants. I don't know what to do!!!!!~!!!!

ProudSingleMum

Asked by ProudSingleMum at 12:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had this problem with my DD - then grandma gave her this 'MAGIC POOPOO ROCK', she made this big deal out of it like it sent down from the superheroes and my daughter gets to hold it while she poops on the potty. She also gets a treat afterwards.
    allfiller08

Answer by allfiller08 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I haven't figure out how to get my 2.5 year old to use the toilet for pooping when he is wearing clothes. If he is naked he will run to the bathroom but if he has underwear he will just go in them. Doesn't even hide himself. Just goes right there in front of me then yells poop. If I notice that he is going then I take him to the bathroom but sometimes I can't tell that he is.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I got my son trained at 2.5. I just had him go naked or just in underwear all day for a week. I took him and made him sit on the potty and try eery 30 minutes until he started to get it, then I increased to every 45, then 60...etc. After about a week, he was fully trained(day, night, pee and poop).
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• ugh, i know what you mean. my ds was pooping in the potty just fine, before he even peed in it. then i actually started potty training him (yes he trained himself to poop in the potty on his own, i had introduced him to the potty but didn't force it) and it all went reverse. he would pee in the potty no problem but then poop in his underwear, and i'm still stuck in that situation. it's so annoying! and he doesn't even hide. somehow he can play and poop at the same time. now he doesn't even want to go potty at all. i'm so fed up with it.
    Anonymous

• Brandenismyson: I wish I could let my son go naked all the time. I live with my mom and she always complains because he will take off his clothes and run around.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Thank you all for your responses. If I leave him naked, he will poop on the floor. And Anon 127, glad I am not alone...although sorry that you are going through it as well.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 1:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• And poop on the floor leads to poop on the walls in the hands of some children like mine. My 2 year old was supposed to be taking a nap but instead took off his pull up pooped on the floor then smeared it on the wall. Oh what fun it is to be mommy today. I'm glad I have a strong stomach even during pregnancy or I wouldn't have been able to clean it up.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Jaira....that has happened to me! Not for a LONG time (knocks on wood!!), but it has happened. It is NOT fun. ANd they are SOOOOOOOO quiet when they do stuff like that...just so you continue to think they are sleeping!
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 1:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Children tend to "pee train" prior to "poop train". I don't know that I have any magical advice for you though, sorry. Know that he is not doing it intentiionally to annoy you. Him telling you, albeit, a little late, is a good sign. My children have been pottty trained for years, and I still have to remind them to go to the restroom, for both #1 and #2. They will tell me their tummy hurts, and I ask if they need to poop. Your son "knows" he needs to poop when it's coming out. Just keep putting him on the potty when he starts to go. Does he have a certain time pattern that you can anticipate him going and put him on the potty before it happens? My children used to kind of hide or you could tell on their faces they needed to go, so if you have some sort of cue, take him and put him on the potty before he can go in his pants. Boys are more difficult to potty train girls. Sorry, but patience is your best bet : )
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• MeandMy....yeah...and I am certainly lacking in patience in this area! Unfortunately he doesn't have a pattern. For a while it was every other day...but now...it's here and there. He went yesterday, I thought he wouldn't need to go today, but he did. After he started in his pants I made him stay on the potty until he pooped more. Harsh sounding, maybe, but from experience, when this happens, it usually means it will happen not to long after. ANd...i'm glad I made him sit...because he DID finish on the potty. I just wish I could get him to go to the pot before he goes (like he does with peeing).
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 2:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2010