At what age did you potty train????

my 15 month old son has a very limited vocabulary which is REALY frusteratin. he CAN talk he just chooses not to. he is the baby in a family with three older brotheres. so I was shooting for the 18 month mark but yesterday everytime he went #2 he went and hid to do it. I cought him in the act once and aked him if he was going and he looked at me ever so sweetly and said . yesh(that is how he says it) so we went to the bathroom and tried to give it a shot but because Iwas ready for it yet I don't have a little seat for him and it scared the crap out of him. my question is : A is it possiable to train with this limited communication and B how young is to young and C how do you do it with someone this small? I have a inhome daycare so the bathroom is gated off(all my kids are under his age) so it would be realy hard to do this and expect him to follow through once he gets it with the gate there. HELP!!!!!!! sorry for misspellings

knepppi

Asked by knepppi at 12:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he's young....don't push.

mine I started at 18 months but all 5 weren't fully trained until 2.5

Anonymous

• I started introducing my 16 month old to the idea of the potty. I don't have high hope but hey it's worth a shot.
    Anonymous

• First, he doesn't need a vocabulary, and second, it's not too young to start. My daughter was doing the same thing around that age and we started very gradually then; now she's 18 months and more or less trained (I still have to remind her to go sometimes and she has an accident most days, but not all). I got out the potty ring and she started sitting regularly (no pressure to stay longer than a second if she didn't want to. I also called attention to her going poop and pee in her diaper and to the diaper changing process. Talking about it as much as possible helps. Also take him with you when you go and talk about what you do. When he's comfortable sitting, have him sit at times he's likely to have a bowel movement. Like after a meal. By 16 months dd was only pooping on the potty. Pee may take a bit longer. I'd just put him there at certain times, and once you start getting a lot of "hits," you can get more serious and...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• ... switch to underwear. He may not be able to tell you using the right words, but he will come up with a sound and most likely a gesture to accompany it. Just repeat it the way he says it, and do the gesture along with it. My daughter grabs her crotch and says "poo poo" (it means pee or poop). So in general, I'd start no-stress, but when he gets comfortable sitting you can get him to stay longer by reading to him or giving him something to play with that's just for the potty. You should be able to get poop more consistently, then pee. I bet he'll do great.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:10 PM on Mar. 17, 2010