smoking and pregnancy

Ok so obviously I know that you are not supposed to smoke while pregnant. That is a given and the DR. is def. pushing for me to stop but I found out yestarday at my appointment that I cant even wear a patch till my second trimester. Do you ladies have any ideas on what I can do? And if you have stories to share about quiting please tell. My DH is very upset that Im still smoking but he is too and hasnt cut down at all!!! Atleast Im down to maybe 5 or 6 cigs a day. Uggghhh it is so frustrating. Please help!!

confusedgirl919

Asked by confusedgirl919 at 12:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Quit.. I smoked for 11 yrs when I found out I was pregnant with our first and I quit the minute I found out. It's mind over matter, and doing what's best for your unborn baby. You want to give him or her a good start so why not do the most unselfish thing you can do and quit. It's hard but it's so worth it!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My doctor told me that as long as you smoke no more than 7 cigs a day, it will not cause the baby to become addicted, or be affected. I smoked through both my pregnancies, and my kids are fine. I couldn't quit...so I can't help you there.
    Anonymous

• I quit once i found out i was pregnant, but i slipped up a few times during my pregnancy. My DR. did tell me however, if you just go cold turkey it can actually harm the baby because your body is used to the nicotene. Try instead of 5-6 ciggs. try maybe 2-3 any cutting back helps all the way. GL
    Anonymous

• my dr also told me that quitting was gonna harm the baby..i found out i was pregnant at 5 weeks...so for 5 weeks i was smoking a pack a day..then for the next 2 weeks i smoked about 4-5/day, and everytime i lit up i felt sooooo guilty, and i would apologize to my tummy everytime, i ended up just stopping..then the next day my bf left me..soo yaaa i was stressed, but didnt smoke, instead i literally stayed in bed for about 5 days..after that i was fine...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• well I was a smoker for the first 4 month and with those first my son has problems and i was not smoking 7 cigs a day so i dont know what ur doctor is talking about 2nd poster! It was hard plus my bf used to smoke so it was even harder till one day i got really dizzy and felt real sick so i thought to myself its really time to stop lol it hard but i wish you the best of luck hugs

Anonymous

• I've always been able to quit whenever I wanted to without patches or any assistance. Find something else to do with that time that you would be smoking. My cousin decided that she didn't want to quit and her son had a really hard time when he was born, he is 5 now and still has breathing problems. I wish you the best, I know it can be hard but when it comes down to it our babies are so much more worth it.
    bustii

Answer by bustii at 1:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• buy a soft pack and slip and ultrasound picture into theclear plastic so it's on the front and you see it every time you pull it out. when the cigs are gone fill it with hard candy or gumballs. Keep the picture updated. If you can cut back that's better than nothing.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I quit cold turkey w/ my first 3. this one was quite a bit harder though, for some reason. I felt horrible but I still had to have a couple of hits a day. Then just recently I felt the baby kicking, and I was sooo determined to quit. So I've been totally smoke free for about 3 days. I just keep thinking about the fact that I want my baby to be healthy, and I chew a lot of gum. lol. Also, my hubby didn't quit for any of my pregnancy's. So it's twice as hard!! I went from a pack and a half a day to a couple of hits a day. Hubby still smokes the same amount, and so I have to smell it, see him smoking, and look at the cigs. around the house. It's hard, but it is def. worth it!! Some women smoke there entire preg. and the kids have no effects, others watch their kids struggle w/ azsma and other breathing probs. You just have to ask yourself if it's worth the risks? Keep yourself busy!! Best of luck!!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 5:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I quit smoking when I found out that I was pregnant. I was a pack a day smoker for 6 years and gave it up just like that. Sure I had cravings, but the health of my baby was more important than smoking? Think about the baby everytime you go to light up. Think about his/her oxygen being lowered everytime you take a drag. Think about all the things that could go wrong with him/her if you continue to smoke. That should be enough to quit.
    Anonymous