Why is it OK to be fat?

Why is it becoming more and more acceptable for people to say "I don't care I'm 5'1 and 240 pounds and I LOVE it". Why has morbid obesity become a trend that people think is OK? It's like saying "I have heart disease and I'm proud". Do people not realize that obesity in turn leads to DEATH. Yes death, while there are steps in between all those side affects of that obesity you are so proud of could be KILLING YOU.

The majority of the American public is obese and has no health reason for being so, so why if you knew it was killing you, wouldn't you fix it? If you had cancer and you knew treatment would cure you wouldn't you take it? So why wouldn't you put down the cheeseburger and step on a treadmill. I don't get why people don't take obesity seriously.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Health

• for many people who have struggled with their weight for most of their life it is just not that easy.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Actually some overweight people can in fact be more healthy than regular weight and underweight people. Being over weight does not always have to do with being unhealthy. Why is being a tooth pick a trend? Do you not know that is it not normal to be 5 ft 7 and weight 100 lbs? It goes both ways. Why attack only one? You don't know what is wrong with another person. My grandmother is overweight, has diabetes and back issues AND she does NOT eat junk at all. It just happened with her old age. My grandmother is like me and would rather throw up than see a bag of chips. Oh and the cheeseburger thing, skinny people don't need that garbage either. You do know that you can be very thin and the " ideal weight and STILL have heart disease? Try learning about what you want to rant about. You just sound like an ignorant person.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• It has become acceptable because it's become the norm!  So many people are fat these days, because of fast food, processed food at the grocery stores, the television, video games and the internet..  These companies have to convince us that it's okay to keep eating their CRAP.

Also, big people have to get their self-esteem somehow!  Telling themselves it's fine to be bigger is easy because they can look around and see 5 more people who are as big or bigger than them...much easier than changing what they eat and how they exercise.

Anonymous

• being stick skinny is just as bad as being morbidly obese
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 12:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I don't care what anyone says, being fat is not better than being a healthy size. I highly doubt a fat person could run for their lives if they had to, or quickly get their child/ren and themselves out of a burning house...
    Anonymous

• I have been my "ideal" weight according to the charts once in my life

I got there by working out 2 hours a day and eating I'll say 800 calories daily

so yep, I wasn't "fat", but I sure the hell wasn't healthy
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• anon: but being stick skinny is not being a "healthy size"
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 12:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• The same can be asked about those who smoke, drink or do drugs. And anyone can die at any moment, many obese people just have the attitude of: I love myself, no matter my size. Doesn't mean they won't lose weight or take steps to be healthy, but loving oneself as they are is healthier than being miserable and depressed.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• "anon: but being stick skinny is not being a "healthy size" "

Where did I say that it was?
    Anonymous

• Well I for one prefer being 5'6" and 170lbs over being 5'6" and 120lbs. I would rather have some meat/fat on me than be so skinny my bones stick out. Being that small is gross no matter who you are. I would like to get down to 140lbs but if I had to choose 170lbs or 120lbs I would go with 170lbs. I have been both.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 12:57 PM on Mar. 17, 2010