Has anyone taken online classes??

Has anyone taken online classes ? I am considering it, and i need to know your experience and advice. How does that work? Do you have to be online at a certain time of the day, or do you do the course at your own speed?

I would like to apply for my Masters. I have a BA in Social Work. But the pay is soo low! I need to make a better life for me and my kids.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you ladies!!!

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in

• My husband is a full time student and is taking an online class through his college for the first time this semester. There are no specific times that he has to be online. There is an online discussion board (very similar to the cafemom group discussions in format) that he is expected to make 1 original post and a minimum of 3 replies to other people's posts over the course of the week. Quizzes and tests are online but can be completed within a pretty generous window of time, and other assignments have to be submitted electronically within a certain timeline as well. He is finding it to be more time-consuming than his classroom classes because of the number of times he has to go online to participate in discussion boards. He estimates he is online at least five hours a week on discussion board vs. 3 hours a week in a classroom.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Ive taken them through local colleges. Its nice because if you ever need it you can go in and see the teachers. The ones I have taken all of the schoolwork was online and you'd have a syllabus you had to follow that told you when assignments were due. You could do the work anytime as long as you submitted it online to the teacher by the due date. I personally found taking classes through the colleges in our area was a lot cheaper than the online universities.

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I take online courses. My classes run the way riotgrrl explained. I like it because I can get on when my daughter takes her nap. I spend about a 1/2 hour a day online and maybe have reading or papers that I do after the kids go to bed at night.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 2:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I got my Master's online. We did not have to log in at any particular time, just post to the boards and turn in papers by the due date. It was great! I finished my MS in Ed. Leadership in 2 years. When I started, my kids were 5 years old and 3 months old, plus I was teaching full time. I found it much easier than having to sit through hours and hours of class.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2010