Pregnant and in school

I'm still in college, finishing up a bachelors but I still have 7 courses left. I really wanted to knock out a couple of classes this summer before the baby is born. My due date is July 14th and if I take summer courses, the classes will finish June 25th.

I know babies can come early and late and right on time, but I wonder if it's a good idea for me to register for summer courses that end just 3 weeks before my due date. I really want to get work done this summer...

Please tell me what you think

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 1:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I personally would shoot for it. Is this your first? There is a pretty good chance you could go over due a little.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I think you should sign up and I'm sure if the baby comes early your professors will have that understanding and allow you to make up the work.

Anonymous

• I got pregnant in high school my due date was june 21 and graduation was scheduled for the 7th. I made it all the way through and even got to walk across the stage at graduation. I gave birth 3 days later on the 10th. I think you should do what you think is right. I didn't want to quit school or go on home school so I did my best to stick it out and it worked for me, barely. That doesn't necessarily mean that you will make it all the way through.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I would go for it. I had my daughter at the end of my last semester in college, so even if you do go early it is doable. Just discuss with your professors before finalizing your schedule to make sure that they will be willing to work with you if baby does come early. Also look into academic services (or whatever they call the tutoring center at your college) and non-traditional student services and what assistance they could offer. The academic support services set up someone to take notes in my classes for me while I was out of class and there were other services they offered too. I also got as far ahead on classwork as I could and handed in my end-of-semester projects ahead of schedule so I wouldn't be busting my rear to finish them up all sleep-deprived with a newborn.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Thanks a lot everyone, you've been very helpful and supportive
    walkintherain

Answer by walkintherain at 1:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Do it! :)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• we're planning on a baby and i would prob have it at the end of the fall semester which would be awesome.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 2:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2010