How do feel about (ear) tubes?

My dd is 2 and has her 2nd ear infection in less than a yr. Her doc said that if she gets a 3rd she wants her to see a ear/nose/throat doc to get tubes. I've heard good & bad things about them. I'll be doing research on them, but interested in your opinions on your experience with them if your kids or kids you know have had problems or successes with them.

THANKS in advance!!!!

Jesstsilly

Asked by Jesstsilly at 5:12 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Kids' Health

• My son has had tubes for almost a year now. They worked miracles for him. He had 12 ear infections in 9 months. He has only ha one since the tubes. They are a lil aggravating with having to deal with earplugs and all, but if she is having problems I would consider it. Ear problems can cause a lot of underlying problems (balance, speech). The surgery itself was a breeze, took about 40 mins and he was in recovery for about an hour. He was a lil droggy that day but after a good nights sleep, couldn't tell he even had anything done. Good luck!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My nephews both had them years ago, and they worked like a charm. I am sure that they have even gotten better since. I look at things like this as an necessary evil. We have to do it to make them feel better. take care...hope it all works out.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 5:16 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• My son has had them 4 times. The first time he was three years old. He has really bad allergies and had lots of fluid behind his ear drums. The tubes were done outpatient. He did fine each time. As soon as they would fall out he would have to get them again. They only stay in about 1 to 1 1/2 years. They fall out on their own. You have to be careful not to get water in their ears while the tubes are in. Overall I was very satisfied with them. It wasn't until my son started getting allergy shots that he was able to stop getting tubes in his ears. He is 18 now and doesn't have problems with it anymore.
    momofawx2

Answer by momofawx2 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• several of the moms in my mommy group have tubes with there kids some kids under 1 yrs. seeems to have worked for the moms i know. good luck!
    1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 7:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• My son who is now 7 was a very sickly child from age 3 months he had ear infections once a month for 4 months, back to back. After going thru medication after medication, I finally took him to see an ENT for tubes, It was the best thing I could have done. It was the relief he needed, He didnt have another ear infection after tubes, I am 100% behind them. I think every child is different and iy meds dont work you go the next route. Hope this helps.
    Supermom253

Answer by Supermom253 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• My 4 1/2yo got tubes at 14 months after 3 infections in 2 months. She was not talking very well and they felt it was because she couldn't hear very well (she did fail the hearing test b4 the tubes) because of all the fluid in her ears. She was like a new kid after getting the tubes, could hear (passed the test) and starting talking really well. the daycare notice the change right away. One of hers fell out a couple months ago. She was sitting on my lap reading and i looked over and saw this green thing in her ear. It was the tube. Not sure about the other-will find out in Sept at her checkup.
    mnews

Answer by mnews at 10:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• They can be VERY helpful! Inner ear infections can cause problems with speech, hearing, balance, motor skills, and mess with other health problems. I haven't heard of anyone having a BAD experience with tubes. Talk to your doctors, do some research... and good luck! :)
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• nooo dont do it until she gets several my child had 100 in one year and she never got tubes she was 12 we wanted to get them but her tubes were to small her specialist said. soo what we did was put 3 percent hyrdogen proxcide when she got infection let it sit in her ear for 10 to 15 mins than let it out and then do the other it helps
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 4:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Thanks ladies!!!
    Jesstsilly

Answer by Jesstsilly at 7:25 PM on Jun. 29, 2008