At what age did you stop helping with or supervising your child's shower?

My daughter is almost 9 and still needs help getting the water set to the right temp, making sure the shampoo is distributed all over her hair, and with blow drying afterwards. Everything else she can do on her own, but I am wondering if this is normal to still need to assist her so much at this age. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I only do my 9yo's hair once in awhile to make sure it gets really clean. I use my shampoo which burns if it gets in the eyes. It's not every shower, just a couple times a month.
    Otherwise she does it all on her own. So does my 8yo son. My 7yo daughter refuses to learn how to turn on the water. I've showed her many times to turn it all the way on until it is steaming and then reset it to a warm temp (we have just the single control) but she refuses so someone has to set her water for her but she does the rest.
    My kids don't dry their hair so that's not an issue. We don't even own a blow dryer.
    I tend to have to send them back to rerinse but I'm very big on independence. They learn by doing it themselves.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I help turn the water on, thats about it for my 9 and 6 year old.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My step-DD just turned 9 and i have to send her back into the shower if I don't stay in there with her cause she will not get all the shampoo out or get the soap off her body good enough. Her mother is a lazy parent so the little thingsd that you teach your children she lacks in that. But that is a whole different subject. I think if you tell her what needs to be done your DD sounds like she would be fine to shower alone. GL to you and her.
    Anonymous

• Maybe its different with a girl because they have more hair than boys but I stopped helping my son with his showers when he was about 6 or 7. He's just about 10 and I still remind him "wash your whole body including your private parts and your butt and make sure you wash your hair" every single time before he goes into the shower because if I don't say it, they boy will come out of the shower and not a hair on his head is wet, don't ask me how he manages that one, but he does,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• i have a 10 yr old that needs the temp adjusted and such,shampoo you know......but i tell you when i work on sunday there is no supervision at all by my dh......i ask her did you wash your hair she says yes......she shows me the conditioner bottle....i tell you./my dh tells me he feels funny and doesnt want to go into the bath room.well i guess thats a good thing but i tell him at least show her what the shampoo is??????
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My dd was completely independent in the shower at 7. She had a few shampoo mishaps over the years, but I haven't had to go in there (other than to tell her to get out) in a while.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• my SD is 9.5 & I still get the water to the right temperature for her. I also try to check her hair to make sure she gets the shampoo all out, but she is getting better. Otherwise she washes herself. She likes me to come in & help her out & help her dry off. She is able to dry herself & I have her dry more private areas, but i will get her arms & legs. She wants me to help & I like that she still wants me to help....so I dont force her to do it herself. I have her brush her hair once by herself & then i brush it again.

My SS is 6 & he has gotten pretty good at washing & shampooing himself. He still likes help every once in a while or if he needs a REALLY quick one, I help him get washed faster. I do get his water to the right temperature & help him out & help him dry. I let him do private areas for washing & drying.

I help them both get pjs on most of the time, although they can do this themselves as well....
    Anonymous