Farmer's Market More than Grocery Store?

So I'm confused.

We recently visited our local Farmer's Market and saw strawberries for $3.50 a pint. The local grocery stores are currently selling 1lb containers for anywhere from 2 for $4 to 3 for $5!!

If they don't have the middle man; the shipping fees; the taxes; the blah blah blah expenses - can anyone explain to me WHY it should cost so much more???

I don't get it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I assume they grew the product ? They are trying to make a profit. The grocery store may have onlyh bought those from the middle man for a dollar a lbs and then turn around and sell them for 2 dollars a lbs. It is profit.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• because they don't grow on a MASS scale that the supermarket growers do.

they're independant - so the cost of that pint of strawberries has to cover the field, water, transportation, packaging, and the labour to grow it and harvest, then the person to sell it.
    Anonymous

• Normally I pay less at the farmers market but some items are going to be more, keep in mind you get what you pay for sometimes. I would rather pay that extra for berries that were grown locally and in most cases with out pesticide. At farmers market keep an eye out some vendors are not organic. It also depends what is in season what is in high demand and if they get an item which is not readily availabe unless the have been shipped in from other places like at the grocery store they are going to be in high demand at market and if any of their crop was lost prices will go up. Also keep in mind a grocery chain can get discounts for buying in bulk to offer you those great deals every few weeks.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there are many factors that go in to prices at farmers market but in the end i would much rather support local growers which supports the local economy.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I would LOVE to shop @ the local market from local vendors that's why we went; but I don't have the budget to justify spending $3.50 on a pint when I can get 2lbs for $4 or 3lbs for $5 depending on the store!

Just was kind of a shocking let down I guess...
    Anonymous

• They're a heckuva lot better and at least at the FM I go to, they're organic. I definitely prefer to buy them for more money at the FM than cheaper at the grocery.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, when strawberries are actually in season (June) they are cheaper at our local farmers markets than at the grocery store and they tend to taste better too. This is true of many items.

I pay extra for apples at the local orchard. The apples are bigger, in better shape, have a better selection, stay good longer and taste better. In addition, they tend to be organic.
    Anonymous

• IF the produce is really LOCALLY grown it will be cheaper. THat is what I buy when I go to the farmers market. You will see some that, if they had a particularly tough growing period and couldn't grow a crop they normally would, they will import them from other places and sell them still. Just because its a produce market or farmers market doesn't always mean its locally grown.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• 2:11 Strawberries are in season here in FL - we just had a huge state festival like 3 weeks ago!
    Anonymous

• Idk why they cost so much, but it is the reason I don't shop at the farmer's market. It's sad. They might taste better, and be locally grown, but the bottom line gets my butt to the grocery store instead.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• ****Just because its a produce market or farmers market doesn't always mean its locally grown.

It depends on the market, some have guidelines for vendors that state they have to grown within a certain area. Our farmers market is that way. If your not sure about the market you go to look at their vendor application and guidelines to find out. The markets in larger cities are more likely to bring items from farther away (That is how it was done where i grew up), but if you live in a small town like I do now surrounded by farming communities then you will get locally grown.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2010