Obama's health care plan gains support

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's much-challenged health care overhaul gained traction Wednesday as a liberal lawmaker became the first to switch his opposition and Catholic nuns declared their support in an unusual public break with the bishops.

Rep. Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, long a supporter of Medicare-for-all, voted against the House Democratic bill in November because it did not go far enough in creating a robust government-run plan to compete with private insurance. But Kucinich said Wednesday that the bill coming before the House represents the best chance to expand coverage to the uninsured, even if it does not include a public plan.

Link in reply below.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 1:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• FULL STORY HERE

I am glad it's happening. I want to pay for my own insurance, but since we can't get it, we're on Medicaid. Stupid!

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I cannot and will not support any health care bill that has the Mother's Act included in it as the current one does.
    Anonymous

• Oh it's just Kucinich. Was worried there for a second.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Yes, I wonder what threats Obama made to Kucinich on that flight from DC to Ohio? Hmmm!!
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Nice, another idiot willing to pass a bill without knowing the cost. I won't go into the other crap associated with this overinflated power grab.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Yep who cares what it will cost or what is in it pass anything NOW! seems to be the supporters mantra.People are having to be threatened and bribed to give support for it which should of said it all to anyone..but hohum whatever.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• LOL I hear they are going to take Kucinich on a Area 51 tour for his vote. LOLOLOL Probably not but funny none the less.
    To bad, but it is losing support with the people that matter. You know if this gets pushed through with this Deeming vote it will go right to the Supreme Court where it will be on hold for who knows how long. There will be lawsuits galore.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Google Mayor Kucinich and what he was noted for in the city of Cleveland. Even YOU will be embarrassed you brought up his name in a supportive manner. Oh man.................I hear brain cells dying somewhere...............
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I don't care how idiotic the man is, another vote is too many for this POS legislation. I read in AP this morning that premiums will double or even triple under this bill. This does us no good at all.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HEALTH_OVERHAUL_FACT_CHECK?SITE=MOJOP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Oh no lovin that cannot be true as the great pretender said in Ohio the other day that premiums would be reduced 3,000 percent! LOL
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2010