Breastfeeding concerns, tips?

I am a mommy to 1 and pregnant and due in late June.

I wasn't able to breast feed my daughter because we tried and tried for weeks to get my milk to come in, and it never did. I felt like doctor's gave up on me when I found out there's medication and natural herbs that could start my milk.. anyone know about those medications or herbs?

I really really want to breastfeed our newest addition (anna grace) so i'm looking for tips on how to help my milk come in naturally or with medication.

I have already started to leak a little - but just a few drops, and it's clear. So i'm hoping this is a good sign?

Any advice or suggestions would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you

ramzmomma

Asked by ramzmomma at 2:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've heard of eating oatmeal but I don't know how true that actually is.

Talk to your doctor about domperidone. I went on it for both of my kids because my milk supply was so pitiful.
    There's also the mixture of blessed thistle and fenugreek.
    I've also heard brewer's yeast helps.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 2:19 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Get a good lactation consultant, find a store that deals with natural medicine only, no GNC or Pharmacy will know much about it...you will need to use things such as Fenugreek and only a true herbalist will be able to direct you to the correct approach. I drank mother's milk tea and took fenugreek. It helped to stimulate production but you need to make sure you get the supplements fresh otherwise their potency will not be good and may frustrate you further. Lastly, know that some women, even with additional help, cannot nurse...there is nothing to feel bad about, only know that you tried and then realize that as long as baby and mommy are happy, then you can spend that nurturing time in other ways like baby-wearing. Good Luck
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• yes, get a good lactation consultant, go to La LEche League (www.llli.org) and read about breastfeeding (the womanly art of breastfeeding is good. Also know that it may take awhile for milk to come in and thats ok. Before than, and what you are experiencing now, is colostrum and its very important for newborns to get. After your baby is born be sure to have a lactatio consultant help you with breastfeeding right away (with the latch). Also know that medications given during labor and the birth process and interfere with breastfeeding so maybe considering a natural birth would be a good thing to look into. If you have any questions or anything you can message me. I'm gong to be training to be a La Lache League leader and I have sucessfully breastfed my two biys and will be breastfeeding another addition soon.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Drop by the breastfeeding moms group, too...we'll do some troubleshooting. It's possible your milk WAS there and they were telling you the wrong things to look for.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2010