Did your baby suffer from acid reflux? (rude people do not respond please)

What did you do to help with acid reflux in your infant? Our baby has been diagnosed with it-and the pills the doctor gave us don't seem to help much. We also have her on Gentle formula for gas since she has that too. It is bitter and she doesn't seem to like it. My mom told me to add a little sugar and rice cereal. Anyone have knowledge or experience with this? please help? I just hate to see my little one upset. She still spits up a little through her nose...and is clearly in pain with her tummy.Should I switch formulas? I will consider all suggestions...and I again, will not tolerate any rude ones. If you are rude to me in any way-I will report you.

flowermom76

Asked by flowermom76 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i had to have my son sitting up all the time. i could never lay him down. he even slept with me in my bed in his bouncy chair sitting up because if i laid him down he would puke. Just feed her sitting up and burp her after every ounce and that should help. You should always keep her sitting for atleast 20 to 30 mins after you feed her. If she was as bad as my son though you will never be able to lay her on her back.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• well all formula is bitter. how old is she? ive never dealt with formula but i do know that sugar in the formula doesnt seem like a good idea...
    Anonymous

• She wa put on Reglin for it and slept at a 45 degree angle until she no longer could keep from rolling over or around the crib. I would hold her upright for 45 minutes after each feeding and tried to not overfeed her as it made it worse. I would burp her halfway thru the bottle and see if she is still hungry, if not, then wait awhile and feed sooner next time since she didn't eat as much at one sitting. My SIL would religiously make hers eat 6-8 oz every 3 hours and he was constantly spitting up and blaming it on reflux. It was really that he just couldn't hold that amount and didn't have the room in his tummy for it. The rice cereal will help as well but you can try to switch formula...we used infamil for AR and it seemed to help too but I was also nursing
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• The only thing that I could tell you is to ask to your pediatrician to refer you to a pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition specialist.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 2:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• you should consult with your pediatrician about the formula and about putting cerial in with it. They may say its okay then again they may say not to do it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• No-sugar probably isn't a good idea-that is why I want more opinions.
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• We have an appointment with the pediatrician at 4:30 but sometimes I wonder if other moms might inform me even better. It is worth a shot. I like to hear a mothers insight on the subject, not just a Dr. especially those that have experienced the same thing. It is so hard to see her in pain. I also wonder if Dr.'s just diagnose,perscribe something based on the symptoms and send you on your way.....
    flowermom76

Answer by flowermom76 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I answered your first question and then clicked on this one. Have you tried keeping her sat up for 30-45 minutes after eating. The bottles make a difference also. I would switch bottles that have a more slower flow. It took myself and hubby a good month to get it under control but i do know how your feeling seeing your child in pain is the most horrible thing to watch.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• OK, a few Q's. Age? And when did you get the diagnosis? How long on the meds so far? Which meds? Any possibility of nursing? What are the symptoms?

Reflux is HORRIBLE. Speaking as someone who suffers from it, and had a child suffer from it. It's no joke. I often wake up in the middle of the night actually choking on acid. At least once a night. I'm lucky my son's was not this bad. He didn't even spit up much. You could HEAR the acid coming up, and going back down before it made it to the spit up stage.

Now, I'll tell you what we did. I suspected reflux with DS around 3-4 weeks old. He was EBF. We went to the pedi, who confirmed it. He said IF I had not been nursing he MIGHT have advised cereal in the bottle, but recent research has begun to show that it doesn't help as much as once thought.

CONTINUED...
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I would definitely try putting her to sleep in her car seat or swing that way shes always at a good position. Have you tried the bottles with the straws in the middle. I think theyre by dr brown. a mom from a nursery i worked in swore by those!! And you can DEF switch up formulas, it took my aunt 6 tries before she got it right!!! Your pedi might have some samples for you so you dont go broke trying all different things....other than those couple of things i dont know what to try!! definitely try feeding as slow as shell let you with out getting frustrated! GL and NO SUGAR....i dont even see what the thought process behind that would be?! but definitely doesnt sound like a good idea!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2010