Best formula for babies with reflux???

My baby has tummy troubles-acid reflux-and gas. What is the best formula for this?

flowermom76

Asked by flowermom76 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• breastmilk is usually the cure all:)
    Anonymous

• My DD had the same problems and I had her on enfamil gentlease for fussiness and gas and It worked great for her. I also switch her bottles to the Dr.Brown bottles with that her acid reflex got better and better over time.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:37 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• uum anons :36 breast feeding doesn't always work for everyone.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• are you laying baby down to eat? or right after eating? if so, sit baby up a little more while eating, and dont lay him/her down for at least 15 minutes after eating. hth
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Breastmilk is not the cure all. I breastfeed my daughter and she still had to be put on medication for her reflux. Here is a few formula's I've heard help, Gentelease by Enfamil, Enfamil AR, Similac Alimentum.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Breastmilk isn't a cure all, BUT it packs more calories and nutrients in a smaller amount and is digested faster than formula, so it CAN help. It is a very legitimate piece of advice to offer.

That said, the best formula would be the one that works for your baby. Generally the more expensive easy to digest formulas are used a lot for reflux. But there are no guarantees.

What would work better is likely smaller more frequent feeds and positioning of the baby after a feed. Change in the bottle and the flow. You might consider switching to a breast friendly bottly as they tend to have better flow that isn't too fast.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• All of my children had reflux. My youngest two (3&5) have been on meds for it since babies. I nursed them. A formula change may not even make a diffrence. You can only try and see. The important thing is to feed small amounts more frequently, keeping them elevated following a feeding. Either by holding or sitting them in a seat etc. We also adjusted the cribs so the head was elevated. If your crib does not have the ability to adjust the matress slant, then you can raise one end up on books or we have used a small 2x4 board to elevate the head. If your baby continues to struggle with relfux talk to your Dr. about it. Meds helped my kids, but it is sometimes a try one and see if it improves or changing the times that it is given to get it finely tuned for what works for your kids. My kids wil tell me now that they are older, that their tummy hurts. Sure enough, I was late with their med or they need to eat.
    momof4treasures

Answer by momof4treasures at 2:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Is baby healthy, but just spitting up a lot? My son always spit up a lot and when we had to switch to formula it got worse. We ended up using Similac RS. It cut the spit up about in half. Hope that helps. :)
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 3:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Honestly, and not at all trying to be rude, but breast milk DOES help with reflux. So if nursing, or even pumping is an option for you, this is what I would recommend. Other then that, I have no knowledge of formula so I can't advise you there. And no, breast milk isn't a CURE, but it helps soothe the burn, and is easier on the stomach. Just offering my experience so that maybe someone will benefit from it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• She is not asking about breastmilk. It's inappropriate in this instance to start preaching the value of breastmilk. We know it's best but how about for one question we try not to force that issue. This is exactly the kind of thing that starts breast/bottle debate and it's gotten old.

There are formulas specific for acid reflux. Enfamil has one I think called AR. What really helped my kids, and was recommended by their pediatrician was to feed a little more pureed food and some rice cereal. Of course, you should really talk to your baby's doctor before doing any of this.
    Anonymous