Does your child eat more than the "serving size"

I was looking up what portion sizes are supposed to be. In general for adults i know i eat all out of whack, but i feed my son really healthy foods...snacks are usually fruits and vegis all day...but i looked at the portion sizes, and what should be one serving would leave my child screaming for more!!! hes almost 16 months, and can eat almost a whole large can of mandarine oranges to himself!! i feel bad if i take them away i wouldnt want to give him less than..but even when i combine it with something like a graham cracker or yogurt and fruit he still eats and eats...he gets three meals and 2-3 snacks per day!? Does your child eat more than you thought they would or do you stick to the serving size?!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We eat healthy, so I let him eat until he's full. Sometimes that means three helpings and eating more than dad, sometimes that means eating half a banana and calling it quits. As long as he's gotten what he needs nutritionally I don't worry about it. The serving sizes listed on things are only there so they can get the smaller number in the calories per serving. When was the last time you just ate 5 chips, or a third of a cup of pasta?
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 3:15 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My older two do not. My youngest does eat more than the others. As long as your LO is at a healthy weight I wouldn't worry too much. Some people have faster metabolisms and need more food for fuel.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I only feed my daughter healthy foods but she is a pig! She is 11 months and she will eat a whole banana at a time, it takes two fruit cups to fill her up (same thing as your son with the mandarin oranges). She probably eats about double what she should but I am not going to starve her. She is VERY active and at this age I would rather her overeat healthy foods then not eat enough. I've never heard of anyone getting fat from too many fruits and veges..
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 2:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My 16 month old generally eats more than the serving size. I've recently looked up serving sizes as well, but I gauge his eating habits more on his hunger and general guidelines than serving sizes. Especially if it's a fruit/veggie serving - as long as he's not majorly overeating I don't worry about it.

Answer by missanc at 2:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• LOL, awww...my son was like that when he was little. Think of it this way, at least he is gobbling up stuff that is healthy! My little man used to be a chubbers, you couldnt tell that now, he's groing to be a lean muscular little thing but back from the time he was born until he was about 2 he was a littl echunky monkey and LOVED to eat, but everythign that he loved was always healthy stuff. My 13 month old daughter however...she's a little thing and she doesnt eat that much at a sitting, I don't even think she eats a full portion of one thing. She's still healthy and all,she just has better things to do than to eat in her mind I guess,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Think about how many servings of fruit per day he supposed to have though. Think about how many servings of vegetables, grains, etc. If you look at the totals per day and divide it by the number of meals he's having, I'm sure he's not overeating.
    Anonymous

• Ha, just thought id ask, some times i swear he can out eat me!! just got worried...but it is healthy so that makes me smile...the little piggy is finally coming back down on the charts for weight and height!! Before he started walking he was off of them!!! but hes a solid thing!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• You don't have to feed only one serving size at a time. You can feed 3 servings of peaches at one time and that would count for 3 servings of fruit. When you think of fruits and veggies you want to have a variety. You don't want all the servings to be from the same thing.

When trying to balance a toddler's diet for fruits and veggies you don't have to think by day. Dr. Judith Roepke, the long time nutrition advisor for La Leche League, says you can balance by the month. If a toddler won't eat balanced meals every day but over the month it balances out then everything will be fine.

With toddlers you don't need to think "meals and snacks". It's all just food. It's best if toddlers just graze all day.

My 18 mo only weighs 20 pounds and we take him to buffets and he eats an adult size buffet meal and then desert. We take him to buffets to try to put weight on.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• depends on the day.

some days my youngest will eat like a little horse, and the next day she'll barely eat anything.

but we eat clean to, so I know that everything they eat is good for them. eating clean also encourages the eat 6 times a day - so little meals all day.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:01 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Sometimes I'm amazed at how much my little toddler can pack away, and sometimes I'm amazed at how she can have so much energy off of so little.

Her appetite comes and goes with growth spurts and teething, all that stuff.

My nutrition professor would tell you, that it's good for parents to offer healthy choices, and let the kids regulate the amount they eat. Our pediatrician agrees so long as weight and growth are looking good.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2010