Is something terribly wrong with my husband?

He flat out refuses to go anywhere in public alone with our 2 year old daughter. On the rare occasion the three of us go out somewhere, he ditches us, goes off on his own, or walks so far away from us he might as well not be there at all. He won't pick her up in public, or even hold her hand. I know this is not normal behavior. What is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• yikes! does he not want people to know she is his? first thought that came up was "cheating".. unless shes a total brat and acts up horribly in public i cant come up with any other reason.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• It certainly is not the way my husband behaves, but I don't know that I think there is something terribly wrong with yours. I would suspect that he could be uncomfortable taking her places by himself because that would mean he would have to attend to diapers or if she is potty training, he would have to be responsible for taking her to the bathroom. My other thought is that there is someone whom he wishes not to know that he has a wife and/or a family. That possibility would bother me so I would simply ask him if that is the reason why he always seems to want to separate himself from the family. You really should not have to guess as to why he behaves in the manner he does. It is perfectly acceptable to ask him. You might turn it around and ask him if there's something about you and the baby or the way you dress or look that would make him ashamed to be seen with you? The point is to ask questions that demand an answer.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:13 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Have you tried asking him? I know my husband never acts that way if any thing he act like a better dad in public! Best of luck to you and your family! Tell him this could affect your daughter in the long run!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• That is really strange. Talk to him.
    Anonymous

• My bf brags about his son all day and loves being seen with him... try asking him what's up.... that just seems weird to me
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• is he embarrassed to be a dad? is he worried people won't think he's cool?
    madfoot

Answer by madfoot at 4:07 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Wow, that is a very unusual problem and to be honest, I've never heard of it before. I dont' even have any insight or advice to give you on that one. Have you asked him about it? That's the best way to find out what is going on is to ask him. Don't confront him and have an attitude because he will immediately get defensive. Just bring it up one day and say something like, hey I noticed that when we are out you...... and explain, ask him why that is and see what he says. But I agree, it's very very weird behavior.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 5:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2010