What are some of your money saving tips?

With these hard times I was wondering what you are doing to save.

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 3:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• We don't spend money on cable television.
    We don't rent movies; we get our movies from the library for either free or $1 a night. We also use Hulu.
    We don't eat out. It's terribly expensive and unhealthy.
    We cook from scratch. Great cost savings and much healthier food.
    Buy things on sale.
    Some things are cheaper bought in bulk. We do that as much as possible.
    My husband takes a lunch to work.
    We use homemade green cleaning products. Not only is it cheaper, it's better for our family's health and the environment.
    Anonymous

• I am about to cut back on our satellite, and I just started getting Sunday newspaper delivery because of the coupons in it (I save about $15-$20 every week or two on groceries with the coupons, and pay $1 a week for the paper).
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:49 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• agreed with anon.. and make your shopping list for the week and just get what you need and nothing else.. make a meal plan.. we save gas by my hubby getting groceries after work instead of me having to drive 15 miles to the store when its right next to his work..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• tons of things, use cloth instead of paper-napkins, cleaning rags, diapers. food-grow your own, can, freeze, keep a price book, buy loss leaders to stock a pantry, cook from scratch, eat in, find alternative sources, forage, less meat. clothes-thrift stores, yard sales, trade with others, cut down adult clothes for kids, repair, reduce amounts, mix an match. use grey water for garden, make compost, share seeds and plants. cluster errands with the car, walk more. reuse aluminum foil, ziplock bags, plastic bags. lower the thermostat in the winter, raise it in the summer, cook in a crockpot, cook more than one thing in the oven at a time. eliminate all but essentital electronics. take shorter showers, wash and rinse dishes in dishpans by hand. wash full loads of clothes, use cold water, line dry. frequent the library, enjoy free and cheap community events, have friends over for meals instead of going out....
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 8:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2010