pooping problems

My daughter will get bad consipated and her poop will get stuck and I have to pull it out but I give her juice, laxatives and it will help her poop one day but then it the same thing over again what can I do to help

Mrs.Jolly

Asked by Mrs.Jolly at 3:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OK. I would NOT use any laxative, especially without a doctor telling me to. Increase her fiber intake. Speak to the doctor, DS pedi recommended in addition to fiber rich foods, 1 tsp of Benefiber twice a day. It's colorless, tasteless, and you can mix it in ANY liquid, or applesauce, yogurt, etc. BUT, I would check with the doctor. Laxatives aren't really good for anyone, and especially not for babies, as they can become dependent on them. They are meant for occasional use, and personally, I don't think I'd give it to my son even if the doctor OK'd it. Before adding the Benefiber, DS (2 1/2 yrs) had rock hard, HUGE stools, that required him to squat, shake, scream and cry, and would only go every 2-3 days, though he'd TRY to go a few times a day. Now, he has MUCH softer stools, generally twice a day, and the only way I even know that he went, is because I smell it, not because he's squatting and screaming in pain.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• A few Q's. Age? Breast or formula? Any solids? Is the stool dry, hard, or pellet like? How often does she go? Does she seem to be in pain? Have you spoken to her doctor? What are you giving her (you said laxatives, what specifically?)

My son has similar issues but before I can offer you advice, I'd like to know the answers to the questions I asked.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• What age?
    Anonymous

• Formula, 8 months, yea she eats soilds, it not dry it is hard and it like a bunch pelets together, she poops once a day, a lot pain when she goes she will just scream, no I haven't had a chance to talk to the dr,the laxative is called fletcher's
    Mrs.Jolly

Answer by Mrs.Jolly at 3:56 PM on Mar. 17, 2010