I saw a sign on the back of a dump truck that said

'not responsible for broken windshields'. I know you are supposed to stay back 100 feet or so. But what if you do, and you still get hit by rock? Or something that comes flying out the back of one? What if you are passing one, or they are passing you? Are they really NOT responsible?

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• They are responsible!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I don't REALLY think that would stand up in a court, ya know. It's their responsibility to secure their load - that can't just slap a sign on a truck and assume that we're all stupid enough to NOT hold them responsible if part of their loads dislodges and hurts property/person. Seems absurd.
    ItsNotSoBad

Answer by ItsNotSoBad at 3:38 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• i dont know... but my windshield got hit with a rock from a dump truck that was exiting off a ramp. i wasnt exiting, so naturally i kept driving forward and therefore passed him. it sucked, and i obviously didnt have a chance to get info off the truck. now i have a dime sized crack in my windshield that i use to always mistake as a spider and get freaked out for a sec by. :(
    Anonymous

• No matter what car or truck throws up a rock it is not the driver's responsibility. The insurance companies put it under road hazard and you pay the deductable and get it fixed. We have had this happen several times and we run a auto garage and have cars come in all the time to get new windshield and evertime even if you have the info of the car that threw up the rock, it is still considered a road hazard and does not go on the driver.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Yeah, I have to agree with Cara a bit.... there is a difference between part of a load dislodging and a tire throwing up a piece of gravel that on the road. One they are responsible for, the other is just the hazards we all face while driving. I was thinking more along the lines of a truck filled with stuff and something comes flying off and hits your car - my sister got hit with a big ole piece of sheetrock trash (with some wood attached to it) on the freeway in Dallas - the company that was carrying the construction trash paid for the damages to her car. But a flying rock that was thrown up by a tire just isn't the same.
    ItsNotSoBad

Answer by ItsNotSoBad at 3:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• carajust: she isn't talking about a car or truck hitting a rock in the road she is talking about one falling off the truck that doesn't have it's load surcured.
    op: if a rock falls off their truck it should be their fault. They have these things that are supposed to cover the load so nothing comes out.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 3:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• No they are still responsible if they didn't do all they could to protect you. They are banking on the fact that most people just believe the sign. The same goes for signs that say "play at your own risk", if you are somewhere where they have faulty equipment they are still liable.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• It really depends on your local laws. In Hampton Roads-forever ago- a law was passed mandating dump trucks provide a tarp or covering over materials in the container for that very reason. Here....I'm not sure. It looks like the more lucrative companies provide tarps over containers and the junkier dump trucks have no covering. It doesn't really matter though, road rocks that become airborne from the tires on the car in front of you can do just as much damage. I would say they are responsible for the damage, but only if you can prove it in court.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:08 AM on Mar. 18, 2010