Do you think its selfish to have 1 child?

I have only 1 son. He's 2-1/2 and I feel done. But everyone tells me I am selfish to not give him a sibling.. I don't know about you guys but I don't get along well with my sisters... I remember being miserable growing up with my sister. My step sister was a nightmare to me also when I was growing up for totally different reasons. Its like everyone I know hates or barely gets along with their siblings so how is that selfish to have him an only child? I love my niece and he's close with her and that is probably the only thing I feel bad about.. that he won't have niece's or nephews cause I know I love being an Aunt... but is it really THAT bad to have just 1 child ??

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Selfish? That's silly. You can give all your care and focus to your son. What is selfish about that? I have 3 kids and now feel that was more selfish on my part. I wanted to have a big family. Now my 3 yr old, 2 yr old, and 3 month old have to share me.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I hope not, we have a 4 year old and have no plans for another
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• no i mean i want a ton but if you dont think its for you then its not for you. you wouldnt want to resent the baby for just being born and not really wanting it, and people get along fine not having siblings they can have friends and their parents undivided attention..
    melis1029

Answer by melis1029 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I have only one and I feel done too. Yet, she's less than 2 and maybe when she is able to help change diapers.. THEN we'll have one more. But no! NO no no it is not selfish. My family asked RIGHT AFTER my little one came out.. so where's the next little boy? I have a girl and they were dissapointed because she isn't a boy? They lov eher but, they want to have a male to carry out the last name.. or something. I scoffed and laughed it off tho, it's MY body and right now with economy, one is MORE THAN enough to handle. Personally, good for you maxsmom! I cannot tolerate the moms who have too many and then WHINE all day. ugh, it's like you had a choice. you know? anywho... sorry for the rants.. but no dear, you love and raise that son of your how you want. Not all of us can be like the Duggars. :)
    IndieJones

Answer by IndieJones at 4:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• No. If you are done, you are done. I have two and I wish I only had one. I think to many kids takes away from the love and attention that they each get... So, one child gets all the love with no one to compete with...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• no why would it be
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I don't. I have 3 and another on the way.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 4:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Thank you.. The reasons I am being told is that I am going to raise a spoiled brat because he'll get everything and won't have anyone to play with and will resent me... well, I may ONLY have 1 child but I hope I've read and learned and listened enough to not let him turn out to be a spoiled brat, he has rules already, chores, is loved with ALL I have and then some! I just wonder sometimes if this is really true - is this how only children feel?!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• no but it's lonely for the child and when you and dad get old and die he's all alone in the world
    Anonymous

• I have a good friend that is an only child. She is the most loving, generous, respectful person I have ever met.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:35 PM on Mar. 17, 2010