How do we get stationed somewhere eles?

I have lived here in gater country(fort polk l.a.) my whole life my husband got stationed here and that is how i met him we are tryin to get stationed in hawaii that is the place he loves and i know i would. We really dont want to be here any longer and i have a condiston that keeps me from living an where cold my body cant take the cold. How do we push this along his sup's are betting arond the bush and not being much help.

FawnaHE

Asked by FawnaHE at 4:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• Who does he work for? Is he military?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• it depends on how long hes been in. I know with the Air Force, my DH got stationed in NJ and thats where we are from, we lived there for about 2 years then he reenlisted for another 6 yrs (he was also stationed in TX & MD before NJ) .. they asked him to fill out a "dream sheet" 5 places overseas & 5 in the U.S. we are now stationed in California for almost a year. Its not really up to your husband, its whenever they want to send him, and Hawaii is technically considered overseas, so that might be hard to get. what branch is he in?
    lyz826

Answer by lyz826 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• good luck! its not easy to get stationed where ever you want , when he comes up for orders again then it all depends on where they need that particular job title and hawaii isnt an easy one to get! and if you dont have a real medicla condition tey wont really take that into consideration, he could always be a geo bachelor where he goes some where and you stay here.
    melis1029

Answer by melis1029 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Don't forget, most hawian natives (born there i mean) do not like americans. I agree though, in the USMC, my hubby would've had to re-up or re-enlist to get another pick. but if you have a condition, you may not even get to go with him, some people's husbands get stationed oversees.. like let's say japan and they have to stay in the states, if he will not be there for a long period of time. Keep your hopes up though, when it comes to commands, there's not much you can tell them you want or don't want. Oohrah and best of luck!
    IndieJones

Answer by IndieJones at 4:33 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• yeah my ex sister in law moved with my brother in law to hawaii from upstate new york and it tore their marriage apart! she couldnt get a job and the traffic is horrific if you do find one , they dont like non natives and can be really nasty so they wont hire you, plus it is really expensive and to fly to visit or come home is insane, guam if he's in the navy might be an option though,,, not too many people want ot go there, they call it the poor mans hawaii but its not nearly as cold as japan or some of the other places in the states you could get. and with not too many people really volunteering to go its not that bad, we we're trying to go b/c you make more money and i could be a sahm for a few years. but we stayed in jax, fl b/c we own a house we couldnt sell but i would still go to guam given the opp.
    melis1029

Answer by melis1029 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Guam was AWESOME. We liked it more than Hawaii by far, the locals LOVED us, treated us like family. My DH is air force, and right now it's very hard to go from state to state. You typically have to go from stateside to overseas and then you can go back stateside. And he doesn't get to just choose when he leaves or where he goes lol. We've been in Washington state for 4.5 years and been trying to get OUT of here to ANYWHERE for the past 1.5 years. They can keep you at one base for as long as they want to.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2010