do you sometimes make a decision because you think its what God would want? Do you know people like this? Instead of looking at different views they only see it "God's way?"

For example a person is raped but she forgives her rapist because thats what God wants her to do. She should have forgiveness in her heart. Do you really believe she has forgiven that person? Why do some people feel they have to put themselves through such pain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I absolutely "try" and always base my decisions on what God would want from me. He wants what is best for me and wants me to be happy. I have been raped and abused in the past and can tell you first hand that not forgiving and not accepting and letting go of the action against me causes a lot more pain than forgiving and moving on. woman who chose to do what the Lord would want from them are not causing themselves more pain but rather finding happiness, love, and fullfilment in the Lord. if you don't believe in God you aren't expected to understand that though.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 5:00 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I love pleasing God! It brings me joy to make Him happy and do His will! I try to be sure all of my decisions center around Him. I think that love and forgiveness bring healing and peace, not pain. I believe God helps me to give forgiveness to others. His love, helps me love others even in difficult situations where in my own efforts I may hold a grudge or brew resentment......that's pain.
    I am NOT saying someone who is raped should not ever be angry etc......that's a very painful experience but I do believe people who experience trauma can find genuine forgiveness especially with God to help bring them comfort in times of pain.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• God's way leads to true love, true forgiveness, and all things good. Walking by faith is a life I'd much rather have than the life I had before. It is the way of the world that leads to death and destruction. I've tasted and I've seen that the Lord is good! God promises to give us grace and that His grace will be sufficient. I have learned that it is true.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:06 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My brother joined a strong fundamentalist bible church about 10 years ago, and there were a number of changes he made for his faith. He gave up a career as a science teacher because evolution conflicts with the literal words of Genesis. He and his wife avoided pregnant women prior, they were so adament they never wanted children, and soon after joining the church they had two kids based on God's order. Their children are not allowed to hear/watch/talk about any story involving witches. He got after me one day for owning the 'wrong' version of the bible, insisting I throw it away and only read the KJV.

He has always been very strong-willed, so the family has mostly given up trying to get him to see other viewpoints as having any validity.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• it is truly frightening that there are in fact, so very many delusional people milling about society, completely unchecked.

The PP's prove my point.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:18 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• do you sometimes make a decision because you think its what God would want?  NO...I have my own brain and make my own decisions. 

Do you know people like this?  unfortunately, yes

Instead of looking at different views they only see it "God's way?"  This IMO is foolish.  First of all, which god?  There's 1000s upon 1000s out there.  And #2, there is no ONE RIGHT WAY...the "right Way" for me may or may not be the "right way" for you. 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• obbydobbie, how can you make a person like this see your point of view and not just see "gods point of view?" I am really having some trouble with a person in my life and all they can say to me is i need to have forgiveness in my heart and i can't be mad forever...and jesus wants us to be together. What if i cant forgive? What if i want to stay mad?! What if the other person i'm mad at is just as stuborn as me?
    Anonymous

• Forgiveness is more about YOU than your offender. It is about seeing forgiveness as a letting go hate, anger and bitterness. All of that negativity is bad for you spiritually, mentally, phsyically. You are breaking the chains that bind you and sometimes your offender as well when you forgive. Don't think of it as a dreadful task but as a road to freedom.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I know many people who think they know what God wants them to do.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• op here. I know what forgiveness is and i agree nikkimomo that it is everything that you stated. I also feel that you can only forgive a person so many times and you can only be walked all over so many times. Do some of you not believe that you just need to call it quits sometimes? Or do you feel that you should keep going and forgiving and getting trampled over, for God?
    Anonymous