Has your little one ever "escaped"?

While I was washing dishes today, my 23 month old son escaped out our garage door. He had been in the backyard. I didn't hear him or see him. It took me a few minutes to notice he was gone and by the time I had searched my backyard and part of my house and run out in the front yard, a neighbor was in the front yard on the phone with the police. I was terrified, humiliated, shocked, every emotion in the world. Has your little one ever made it out into the front yard without supervision?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• YES OMG! Yesterday I like to have shit a golden egg when I couldn't find him. We live in the country back away from the road but that's not the point... He scared the crap out of me. I had went in the bathroom to pee and he went out the back door playing in the back yard. It's 10,000 wonders he didn't fall out of the back door, that first step is a doozy, its a long way down. I swear my heart stopped.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• NO not yet.. we just painted our livingroom and got rid of our baby gate since he learned to work it.. In the morning while I am in the shower is technically the only time he's not attached to my hip - he's 2-1/2 and I am terrified of that so I still make sure to lock all the doors before I even go to shower.. little houdini's..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My DD ran away from me in Kohl's and hid in a clothing rack! The mgr called "Code Yellow" and all you could see were Kohl's employees running around the store! It was sooo scary! I had to swollow my heart when they found her 15 mins. later.
    Anonymous

• My babysitter and I were installing carseats in her car. I'd shut the door behind us and it has a doorknob cover on it, and my toddler had never been able to open the door before (or since, so I figure I just didn't close the door as well as I thought I had), but a minute or two later, my toddler came running into the parking lot, and when we got him back to the house, my baby was crawling towards the door, too. That scared the crap out of me. Thank goodness her car was parked in the first row right outside my apartment, or my toddler wouldn't have had any qualms about running across the parking lot.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:03 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• we went to the zoo, and went up the night before and stayed the night..took hubbys little sis and bro..well the privacy locks are those that unlock when you open the door from the inside and i didn't know that..well, i hear dada real loud and the a door close..i thought it was the bathroom door, until i didn;t hear her...and i took off out the door..she was in the hallway watching the elevator..we were on the ninth floor..i liked to have killed her but its funny to look back on it and it was only a couple of months ago..
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 5:17 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Yes my son hopped on one of the "train" things that run around the New Jersey airport when he was 3 or 4. The door shut before I could get on, cos its only a 30 second time frame to get on and off. Luckily there was a phone there where we could call and they reversed the train and brought him back right before they stopped at the next station! I can not imagine what could of happened to a child in the New Jersey airport!

And, same child, escaped out the front door when he was 18 months old. He had colored on his bedroom wall so i gave him a damp rag and told him to go wash his walls off. Well he decided that he wasn't going to do it, so he, in his onesie, grabbed his pacifier, his sippy cup and walked out the front door while i was in the bathroom. We found him a block and a half down the road with is pacifier. he was running away. So he ended up washing his whole wall and spending an hour in his room afterward.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:04 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My daughter is 20 months old and she had figured out how to open the front door and the screen door. Last week I was folding laundry and reloading the washing machine. My husband was taking a shower and I realised that there was a cold draft coming into the house. I went to look where it was coming from and noticed the front door was open. I looked out side and my daughter running around in the yard with just her diaper on. Fourtunately there is a fence on the other side of our driveway and she was just starting over to it when I got her. The neighbor was standing in her doorway calling to me. I grabbed my daughter and brought her back in. Now have to keep the from door locked so she can't get out unless I let her.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 6:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• no not yet.... glad that they were ok and didn't get hit by a car or anything. it must have been really scary for you
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2010