What if?

If you were renting for housing and your rent payment was raised would you automatically scoff and damn the greedy landlord? OR would you wonder if property taxes had been raised and in order for them to run a business with those frills of say maintence they have to drop some costs down to you?

Be honest which is,or would be your,usual thought process and attitude on this? Greedy landlord? or Trying to maintain a business?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Rent usually increases at the end of every lease where I live. It's something I expect as COL increases. It sucks, but I don't dwell on it. If its that much of an issue, a person could move somewhere else, which will probably eventually increase rent there, too.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Trying to maintain the property and all associated costs! Landlords are INVESTORS! We want to make sure that our INVESTMENT continues to be profitable!

We rent several properties, and NONE of our tenants have complained about the annual "cost of living" increases (which can be as little as $25--but all depends on utilities, property taxes, etc,) we impose when their leases come up for renewal. If the home is well maintained and is located in a desirable neighborhood, it shouldn't be hard to keep good tenants.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:50 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• *maintenance*
    Anonymous

• When I was in college my rent raised every year at lease end. Never bothered me... I had great landlords who always did everything possible if I had a problem. So my thought process was "Oh, my lease is almost up better go resign." lol I would resign and they would show me the 10-20 dollar increase and I liked my place... so sign I did.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I know for a fact how much my Landlords make off of us and how much over their bills they are, so, I would be pissed. No need to raise it again.
    Anonymous

• Well, I always assume people have rental property to make money and not so someone can have a place to live. It is a business. As the owner's expenses go up, so will the rent payment. There is a direct correlation between the two.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:46 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I live in an apt. and our rent is raised every year.
    Anonymous

• depends. if they are good landlords i figure taxes and what not went up and they were doing what had to be done for them to make a profit. but if they are bad landlords i figure they're just being greedy. my mood also has a lot to do w/ how i view it .cause if im already pissed a raise in rent is going to bug me a lot more than if im in a great mood when i find out.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:40 PM on Mar. 17, 2010