Do your kids sleep alone at night?

My daughter sleeps about 12 hours at night. She goes down at 7pm and gets up at 7-8am. She has her own room and her own crib. I check on her a few times, but she's by herself all night. Does this bother you? Of course I never leave the house, I'm in the kitchen or living room while she sleeps, then I go to sleep when my DH gets home.

I always hear of the people who cosleep being with their babies all the time. Like 23 out of 24 hours a day. I don't think I could do that. But for some reason I feel bad for leaving my daughter alone at night!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Don't feel bad... My son has been sleeping in his crib from day one. He's 18 months now, he sleeps from about 8pm till 7am, and he's fine! I kind of feel bad for my friend, who has been co-sleeping with her son (20 months now). She wants to move him into his own room, and he's not having ANYTHING to do with it! The way I see it, our bedroom is pretty much the only place for me and my SO to get in some "us" time. And my son is asleep anyway, not like he's missing us! If he wakes up for whatever reason, I can be in his room in about 3 seconds flat.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• You don't need to feel bad. She sounds like a great sleeper - I am jealous.

My girls (ages 6 and 21 months) share a room and my son (age 3) sleeps alone. I will crawl in the bed with my 21 month old (she is in a full size bed) when I can't sleep with hubby's snoring.

I think it's great that she sleeps so well.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 5:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Lets see. my son goes to be around 9 - the past 5 months he's been waking between 1-3 or times a night.. 1/2 the time I end up curled up in his twin bed with him if he has nightmares or is screaming for me to cuddle him.. he's 2-1/2 but when he was sleeping through the night.. no, i didn't feel bad I guess.. I used that time as MY time and got the cleaning and housework I leave til he's sleeping so I can play with him... I know he's safe and warm and loved to pcs though.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My kids have slept in their own rooms since they were 6 months old (on a different floor from me, too). Except my youngest who slept in her own bed in our room until she was 16 months (because of space issues) then she had her own room until she was 3 1/2. Now she shares with her 9yo sister.
    I've never felt bad about that. I have no urge to spend 24 hours a day with my kids. We all need our space. My kids aren't allowed in my bed ever. That's my space (and I have so very little of it). They all have their own beds in their own rooms and that's where they sleep.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Both of my kids have slept in their own rooms since they were about 6 or 7 months old.

I like it this way! DH and I get alone time, kids and I get decent sleep and they are not so dependent on me to sleep.
    Anonymous

• My Kids are 24, 22, 15, 10 & 7. We always co slept. Either with us or as they got older with each other. Right now the only one that can't sleep alone at night is the 7yo. He goes from bed to bed. Whoever will have him at night. Some time they fight over him so they will sleep together.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I don't think you are wrong or bad for letting your baby sleep alone. My daughter slept in her crib, in my room, until she was 7 months but then I moved her to my bed. She has her own room now but still sleeps in my bed at 11 months.

Before any one bashes co-sleeping, she has a seizure disorder and I can not have her alone because I worry that she will have a seizure in the middle of the night. I am a VERY light sleeper so her littlest movement wakes me and I know she is safer. Maybe it is just for my security as well, but she had two seizures and stopped breathing during both. I couldn't live with myself if she had another, stopped breathing, and had no one there with her.

If she didn't have the disorder she would be in her crib in her room.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 5:27 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My son slept with me until he was 5. Then, he moved into his own bed and room because we finally had a place for him. He took naps alone. We only co-slept at night. He was easy to move out.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• My daughter is 5 and she's been sleeping on her own in her own room since she was 2, she goes to bed around 8:30-9 and wakes about 8-8:30. My son, who just turned 3 is another story, ugh. He just can't make it the night without coming into our bed.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:30 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• all three of mine are in their own rooms.

the first 2 were in our room in the cradle for the first few weeks - but once I moved them into their own rooms and relied on the monitor we ALL slept much better. babies are such noisy sleepers!

#3 we were in a new house - her room beside the master so she went straight into her own room. my youngest is the one with seizures.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:36 PM on Mar. 17, 2010