My 5 yr old son and teeth...

I have noticed for awhile that his front bottom tooth has been moved over which I thought was from awhile ago he bit down on a spoon really hard and knocked it loose but after a few days it was ok... then I noticed the space starting so I figured it was from that accident... Well today I noticed that the skin between the teeth was raised a little bit so I looked further in his mouth and noitced a tooth comin in crooked behind it.. The old tooth is a little loose like I told him to keep messing with it so it will fall out.. He had perfect stright teeth with his little ones and now this one is comin it crooked... should I call his dentist or just let it fall out on it's own? Sorry it this is a stupid question but this is my only child so the loosing the tooth thing is very new to me! :) thanks in advance!

randilinn

Asked by randilinn at 5:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Baby teeth are supposed to come out to make room for the permanent teeth that should be pushing them out.
    Some baby teeth have extremely long roots and don't get pushed out as they should causing the permanent tooth to come in behind it and then the dentist will most likely pull it out.

If the baby tooth is loose already, have him wiggle it like most kids are apt to do anyway.

As for adult teeth vs. baby teeth.....straight baby teeth are no indication of straight adult teeth. Most kids have cute straight smiles until baby teeth start coming it. Your dentist will be the best expert on when or IF your child will need orthodotics.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:59 AM on Mar. 18, 2010

• Chances are the tooth would have come in crooked anyway?? I think??? If you are that worried, I definitely would take him to the dentist. He should be going on a regular basis now anyways....
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Leave the old one in. It is there to save space until the next one is in. My son had both front bottom teeth come in behind the oters. A dentist friend said to leave them so the new ones will have a spot to move into. They are crooked, but, all his permanent teeth were.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:45 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• ok thanks! TLALONDE16 Yes my son goes to the dentist every 6 months and doesn't miss an appt! :) I have just never delt with this and didn't really know what to do!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 7:08 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• i had a few secondary teeth come in behind my baby teeth. my teeth are very straight.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 17, 2010