Did your mom ever do anything with your kids that you don't approve of?

My mom gave my DD a regular cup full of milk at 12 months and got mad when she wouldn't drink out of it. She just dumped it all over her and expected me to clean it up. I was at a dr's appointment and came home to a big mess. She also expected my DD to eat by herself with a spoon and fork at 14 months old. She called her slow when she wouldn't do it.

I confronted her about it, and she got so offended! It's a wonder I still let her come over!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If thats the worse your mom has done then you have it pretty good lol. I dont even let my mom watch my son. The only time she sees him is if Im right there.
    Anonymous

• My step dad gave my first child soda before she was two just to see if she liked it. I had no desire to give my kids soda that young and he knew it... he even went out side and did it through a window just to taunt me.

My mother begged me to allow my step father to put my kids on the back of his motorcycle and go around the block... over my dead body. I told her no and that she wasnt allowed to be alone with them because I couldnt trust her. (I live in a different state so it was not too bad a threat). My step father belittled me telling me how stupid it was to think the kids could get hurt. (he also doesnt believe that helmets do any good) ............ A couple years later his son, my step brother, was in a very low speed motorcycle accident and in a coma for 10 days.
    Anonymous

• She took them swimming. I asked her not to because no had floaties. She took them anyway(when I left to go buy floaties) and my youngest ds jumped into the 6ft section of the pool. He's only 4 and cannot swim. Did I happen to mention she was not watching them. She was talking to another adult who happened to see the top of my sons head barely above the water and slowly going down. The OTHER adult jumped in to save him. And my moms excuse. She had none, but she did say,"Lighten up the boys still alive".... Needless to say I dont leave her alone with my kids, unless there is SOMEONE ELSE there who will stop her in her tracks.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 5:54 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• holy hell 4xsthetrouble... that is horrible!
    Anonymous

• If she were MY mother, I would only ask her to watch my child in desperate situations. It's one thing for her to expect it of her grandchild (because she had forgotten that children may or may not be able to feed themselves/drink out of a normal cup), but another to call the baby "slow"....... Sounds to me like it's your mom who's SLOW.....

Sorry, I'm sure you love your mother, but I hate anyone who insults a child or has unfair expectations, is ignorantly judgmental, and can't even clean up some milk when she is the caretaker.... Is this a sign of things to come? If so, I would limit contact because Grandma will have a negative impact on your daughter's self esteem.....

My son is 22 months and is barely now learning how to properly and consistently utilize a fork/spoon; let alone drink out of a regular cup???
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• wow, your mom doesn't know much about little kids huh? I'd hate to see what she made you do that young
    Anonymous

• my MIL put my 5 wk baby in a bath (on his back on the floor of bath with water to his ears) and went out to the kitchen to make soup! I came home, found her in the kitchen chopping vegies, asked where DS was - in the bath having a lovely time! OMG even now I can feel the vomit rising in my throat as I ran in. Thank god he was okay, but his face was all wet and he was turning his head side to side. Don't think she has had my babies to care for since.
    It's your baby and it's a one shot deal, if this is how she treats her when you are there or are about to come home, what is she like when she is all alone with her? I would not allow her to look after her again
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• anon54: Your mom and step dad should read this:
    http://www.mercurynews.com/obituaries/ci_14679613
    Mark Smith is my step-sister's half-brother. His father died in a motorcycle accident too.

OP: I consider my nephew slow when it comes to eating by himself. He turns 3 April 24 and doesn't even feed himself. All I have seen him do is sit there and wait to be fed. My mom lets my kids make a huge mess and doesn't clean it up when she watches them. She has also given my kids soda when they were under a year old.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 7:09 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• WHEN MY NOW 9 YEAR OLD WAS 7 MONTHS OLD WE WERE AT A THEME PARK I WAS ON A RIDE WITH MY DAD WHEN MY SON WAS CRYING (WASN'T WITH HIM, MOM WAS!) AND SOME STRANGE WOMAN LOOKED AT MY MOM AND SAID I CAN CALM BABIES DOWN I AM A GRANDMA TOO. MY STUPID ASS MOTHER HANDED MY BABY TO HER!!! THANKFULLY THE WOMAN DIDN'T MEAN NO HARM AND WAS A HONEST PERSON!! BUT DAMN, I FLIPPED. MY MOM TOLD ME ABOUT IT WHEN I GOT OFF THE RIDE, EVEN MY DAD LET HER HAVE IT. 8 YEARS LATER AND 3 KIDS, I STILL DON'T LET HER LIVE IT DOWN AND SHE IS NOT ALOUD TO TAKE MY KIDS ALONE EVER! AND IF SHE BABYSITS IT MUST BE AT MY HOUSE!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• She lets him drink Coffe Creamer. He likes it cause it's like sweetened milk. Thats about the worst she's ever done. She's a pretty great grandma and I'm a pretty laid back mamma.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2010