Is religion a comparison of a hallucinogen?

After doing some research for one of my groups, I stumbled across wikipedias definition of a hallucinogen.

It reads: hallucinogens do not merely amplify familiar states of mind, but rather induce experiences that are qualitatively different from those of ordinary consciousness. These experiences are often compared to non-ordinary forms of consciousness such as trance, meditation, conversion experiences, and dreams.

aka - miracles, seeing/hearing God, being convicted/led by a holy spirit, signs

They can cause subjective changes in perception, thought, emotion and consciousness.

Now Im not insulting religion, but I am curious. It seems to me that religion is a repetitious programing of spiritual elevation. I'd like to think that religion itself changes a persons perception of life, and is directly reflected in everyday activity of a devoted follower.

So what do you think?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 6:16 PM on Mar. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• hahahahaha... it makes so much more sense now!
    allfiller08

Answer by allfiller08 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• It is well documented that people who participate in religious rituals (prayer, fasting, sacraments, baptisms, etc) experience bio-chemical effects. Neurotransmitters change, the body's ability to perceive pain and pleasure change... all sorts of things can happen to someone in an intense state of ritual. Essentially, you can "get high on Jesus" or Buddha or Vishnu etc.

I suppose a creationist would give this a thumbs up and posit that the creator made humans with a bio-feedback loop that reinforces worship. If the creator wants to be worshiped then it makes sense to make worship bio-chemically feel good.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I think you have religion mixed up with cults
    Anonymous

• Hallucinogens are chemicals put into your body that trigger hallucinations. Religion isn't a chemical that is put into your body, but a way one chooses to live their life. Therefore, I don't believe that they can be compared.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• if i saw god or heard voices from a god i had better be tripping on acid
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• i guess i kinda dont get that either...when some people say..god has spoken to them..i'm like REALLY????
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Yup really Shay.... Im one of those that has heard the audible voice of God. Do you know people also hear demons audible too? Works both ways :-)

a relationship with God and a hallucinogen cannot compare.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• Anyone who hears voices need a CAT scan.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:22 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• I think the mind is an incredibly powerful thing. I think we can convince ourselves of ANYTHING....and with that convincing, we can get physical responses to those things.
    Can people actually believe they are hearing voices? Absolutely. Maybe they ARE hearing voices....as a result of the incredible power of the mind. This remains only their "truth" persay, if we are talking about God and religion. It doesn't make it anymore real or believable to anyone else.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 17, 2010

• 'Happy-clappy' type religions maybe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on Mar. 18, 2010